Banks. Has anyone else heard this?

TomAtAlki

Registered
"More Argentine changes - got called into my bank today "as a courtesy" - effective end of this month, per the Central Bank, no foreigners can have bank accounts here anymore unless they have permanent residency with a permanent DNI. Any money left in accounts after the 31st will be confiscated by the Central Bank - no returns. Making harder and harder to stay here. We shall see."

Can anyone else confirm this?

I don't wan to believe unsubstantiated rumors but don't wan to get caught with my pants around my ankles.

Sorry about bumping this up. Afraid this got lost in the midnight shuffle. I think it is pretty darn important. If no one else does I'll leave it be.

Where abouts did you read this? Sounds pretty unlikely, some residency visas depend on you being able to open an account here.

I can't imagine this would be true, as every person who has residency as an employee of a company would not be allowed to have a bank account and their funds would be confiscated. Also when you open a bank account here, they take a copy of your DNI and if you have a DNI extranjero the number always begins with 92. 93. or 94. There are no indicators as to what your residency status is with the bank whether permanent or temporary.

Haven't heard that and no way would they confiscate the funds (not even here!)

However, I will say that banks are getting much more strict about opening accounts, who can have signing authority, etc. I know HSBC called me a few weeks ago and requested copies again of all my documentation as they were auditing every account that had a foreign signer and I had to verify that I was living in Argentina.

I opened a bank account only 2 or 3 weeks ago with a temporary DNI. They didn't say anything to me about this. Which bank do you have?

I HAVE heard about this!

The one stipulation is that perhaps you just need a visa beyond a Temporary Visa.

So Rentista & Student Visa holders may not be subject to having their money taken, but I was absolutely told about Tourist Visa holders being subjected to losing all of their funds.

I don't have a bank account, but I would be awfully nervous if I did.

But with a tourist visa you wouldn't have a DNI and without a DNI you can't open a bank account to begin with, right?

Well I just went downstairs and found a letter from HSBC! It says they want me to go to my branch before 30 December and bring my DNI for identification (which i dont have, i opened the account with a passport a few years ago).
For me this is a big problem as i'm in the middle of my residency (rentista visa) process for which i'll need a bank account here to send money into the country! If they're saying you cant have a bank account without a DNI, it makes it impossible to get the rentista visa.. what a hassle.

Monique said:
But with a tourist visa you wouldn't have a DNI and without a DNI you can't open a bank account to begin with, right?

I have permannet residency now, but originally I opened my account with HSBC Premier with just my passport and a recommendation from my UK Bank.

Back