Bariloche, San Martin Car Rental? Bus?

jeff1234

Registered
In three weeks we are flying to Bariloche, spending one or two nights then spending a week in San Martin.
I could use some advice regarding car rental
Bariloche airport charges a 12% tax on car rentals so it would seem best to rent a car either in Bariloche or San Martin. Can anyone recommend a good car rental company there?
The road between Bariloche and San Martin (Seven Lakes Trail) is very scenic but also rough and isolated. Is there a bus alternative that would make sightseeing stops? Or should I just go ahead and drive on it?

I drove it a few years back. Definitely drive it -- when I was there they said the bus only stopped in Villa la NAgostura and that's it -- but this was about 7 yers ago so may have changed. Just be careful some of the corners are switchbacks and Argentines don't slow down enough and often cross the centre "line". I don't remember who I rented with, but I believe there are quite a few of the major companies in town. I just rented with a recommendation from my hotel. You can also drive the scenic route one way and then the main hwy on your way back -- doesn't take as long and is in much better condition. The scenic route will also allow you to access a lot of the smaller villages that the bus doesnt go to.

The public bus (that doesn't make tourist photo stops): viabariloche & koko AR$ 68,50 one way leaves bariloche 9am & 14.30, takes 3 - 4 hours can book online at viabariloche.com.ar

There is a tourist service that does a day trip via the 7 lakes: AR$ 320, not sure if you get a discount for only going one way?

To get from Bariloche Airport to down-town Bariloche (if you want to avoid paying the 12% airport car hire tax):
Taxi AR$ 70
Minibus AR$ 30
Public bus: AR$5.50 - not very frequent; timetable here: http://3demayobariloche.com.ar/horarios/67-horario-linea-72-aeropuerto.html

sorry, can't help with car rental companies

Back