Bathtub issue in rental (direct from owner)

ugh top floors come with a whole different set of issues like humidity from the terrace, rats/bats and low water pressure...
Lord. Not in a modern building! Our shower water pressure could dislodge an eye. Rats!? This isn't the Belgian Congo!

duggie thanks for your service. i also traveled alot. mongolia comes to mind and all the countries around it. wont ask if ukarine was business or pleasure. un abrazo

So they’re fixing the tub now: three days without use of the shower and a mess, but it’s getting done. Yay. Even though I’ve only been in the unit for two weeks, the owner said I was at fault but they are generous enough to cover the expense. I asked them about compensation or clean up in Argentina and this was their response. FYI: we have a one-year lease in USD.

In a long term rental when something is broke, the tenant must fix it because it wasnt broke when he moved. Two previous tenants and also us have being living there without breaking the baththub. I understand that you just moved and we will take care of the reparation expenses as an exception. We make a special price for you with internet, power, municipality, building expenses, taxes. Sorry but we can't offer you more than that.

Is what they’re saying true about it being my responsibility? I honestly used the shower 10 times before fissures started forming and I weigh 79 kg, which isn’t exceptional I think…

It's the property owners responsibility. Sounds like they made a cheap repair and it didn't hold. It's not your fault.

If you did something to break it then your responsibility but this doesn't seem to be the case in your situation.

In a long term rental when something is broke, the tenant must fix it because it wasnt broke when he moved. Two previous tenants and also us have being living there without breaking the baththub.
They told you the place hasn't been renovated in 30-50 years, without saying it hasn't been renovated in 30-50 years :rolleyes:

I'd be inclined to move on, whenever it's convenient. There's probably more shit waiting to happen.

It's a Russian Roulette, if no maintenance was done in over 30 years, certainly some items will fail perhaps in your first month in the flat. If you renew the contract it's like a new tenant but they will claim you have been there a long time...? And are responsible for normal wear and tear.

So they’re fixing the tub now: three days without use of the shower and a mess, but it’s getting done. Yay. Even though I’ve only been in the unit for two weeks, the owner said I was at fault but they are generous enough to cover the expense. I asked them about compensation or clean up in Argentina and this was their response. FYI: we have a one-year lease in USD.

In a long term rental when something is broke, the tenant must fix it because it wasnt broke when he moved. Two previous tenants and also us have being living there without breaking the baththub. I understand that you just moved and we will take care of the reparation expenses as an exception. We make a special price for you with internet, power, municipality, building expenses, taxes. Sorry but we can't offer you more than that.

Is what they’re saying true about it being my responsibility? I honestly used the shower 10 times before fissures started forming and I weigh 79 kg, which isn’t exceptional I think…
It really is very uncommon to have a broken bathtub, it was either too worn or poorly repaired. In Arg in general the owners do very little to keep their property in good shape... They knew that causing damages to the unit below would cost them, that is the only reason they repaired it imho. I owner and rented out a condo in the Us, and every time anything broke I had to pay for ( it was excessive at times, for instance when the window screens magically disappeared I had to replace them ). The rules when you are renting temp property in Arg are very unclear.

You guys are a wealth of great info. Thanks so much :)

So if I have a rental contract that's for 1 year and not in pesos, is it even legal?

Feeling a bit duped right now...

Back