Batman Author Swindled With Argentina Pesos ...!

Rich One

Registered
:cool: Norman Breyfogle attended a show at Tecnoplis and sold his Batman Comics for $US1,800 a piece , he received pesos and tried to exchange them in the US .... :D He ws infuriated... see his posting below in his face book and the comments by his readers .... !! Great reading

link to story

I had a wonderful time in Argentina at Comicopolis. Everyone was so very kind and enthusiastic!

I do feel the ethical/moral need to warn my USA peers about one thing: When in Argentina, all USA guests should insist on being paid ONLY in US dollars for everything they sell, because Argentine pesos are worth ABSOLUTELY NOTHING in the USA. I wasn't so warned, and my ignorance cost me about $1600 (USD); I now have that much in pesos (over 14,000 pesos) which may as well be blank pieces of paper.
Costly lesson! I wish someone had warned me. Next time I'll do research on such before traveling.
BTW, I did check the exchange rate online before I left for Argentina (as I always do for countries to which I travel), but it didn't say anything about not being able to convert pesos to dollars. I'd have had to look for that inequity very specifically, and, apparently, by calling a lot of banks and credit unions, as my bank did when I got home. It's almost as if both countries are trying to keep it as much a secret as possible... and people like me (first-time visitors to Argentina) pay the price.

Back