Beatnik Buenos Aires honors its artists to a fault

A very good friend of mine runs the fantagraphics retail store- I will have to get him to save me a copy, as they print limited runs, and they often sell out. I nabbed one of the very last hardback copies of the english translation of El Eternauta a while ago, and they did a trade paperback last year, which, I think, also promptly sold out.
This looks very interesting, right up my alley.

Given how important knowing something about Argentina is to understanding works by Argentine artists, I'm not sure I trust an African living in Chicago to provide much in the way of value in terms of a review of a work like that, but thanks for the notice, definitely worth a look.

I want to read it not based on the review, but based on who wrote it, and what its about. When I get a copy, I will give you my review.

In the meanwhile, I will watch the 2014 film its based on, directed by the author of the book.
A lot of this crowd hung out in my chosen neighborhood, Retiro, where I have a studio space in Galeria del Este, so its of particular interest to me. IN the 60s, that area was a hot bed of art, music, and poetry. There is a map in the film, hand drawn, showing the places they hung out. Its basically my ground zero in BA. And its still a really great area, for culture.

Last edited:
My buddy is saving me a copy, he expects the english language version fantagraphics is publishing to sell out in a month or so. Comics fans are pretty rabid, and pretty much anything fantagraphics publishes sells like crazy.

I've bought a pre-release copy and I guess it has just shipped. I'll maybe post something here about my impressions.

I got it yesterday. Its pretty great- its a rabidly drawn graphic novel of a few crazy stories, anecdotes about the scene. All, more or less true. And the really funny thing is- how similar it is to the Buenos Aires of today. I know people who are the modern equivalents of all of the ones depicted- crazier, in some cases. There are still bars like that, there are still raving madmen wandering around at night, its part of what makes BA great.

Back