Beef

I'd go for JUGOSO just in case.
Because of bad aftose fever memories, Argentinians have become very cautious when it comes to grilling their beef and tend to overdo it-most locals actually like it well-done by default, too.
This is even worsened by the fact that some grill bars tend to "recycle" their beef leftovers by ''re-heating" them again and again until they reach some pitch black shoe sole point.:D
I agree with the advice given above too, do stay away from overly touristy grill restaurants (parrillas) but a few good ones like Desnivel or Don Ernesto in San Telmo.

Alzinho said:
Stella - the beef's rubbish here, I wouldn't bother.

Try the pizza!

;)
At first I saw this as you were saying "Don't bother buying/applying the 'beef rub'." and I thought- "Since all it is is SALT, you're right. It's not much to write home about." Then I realized that you were just trying to turn their attention to this.

http://baexpats.org/food-drink/6548-worst-pizza-world.html

I like the way you work. ;)

And speaking of BIFE DE CHORIZO...

Last night I went to CLUB EROS (corner of Honduras & Uriarte) for a quick steak with a friend and someone else. I couldn't find them, so I sat down by myself at 11:25pm, looked at the menu and rolled my eyes. I got a Bife de Chorizo, Sifon de Soda, & Half Bottle of Vino. The drinks got there in about 30 seconds and the steak got there in about 60 second to 75 seconds. There was no need to mention:

Rare = muy jugosa
Medium rare = jugosa
Medium = a punto
Medium well = cocida
Well done = bien cocida

Because I didn't really have a choice, but it was tasty none-the-less and even McDonalds isn't that fast in this town. But here's what else I noticed:

Over the past 2 1/2 years:

-the price of the cheap wine has gone up 50%. AR$8->AR$12

-the price of the bife de chorizo has gone up 250%. AR$8->AR$20

That's ridiculous. But inflation is only 8%...

Interesting discussion, amigos. Here in Mendoza, they always overcook the beef in parrillas, it seems a macho thing. They do not like jugoso at all.

In BA, I have noticed that a lot of locals burn the outside, but keep the inside REAL red. Anyone else noticed that? I am not comfortable with that, I prefer an even pink throughout.

Is there a way to order the jugosa to avoid this abortion?

schef4711 said:
sure beefs in gringo-restaurants are far away from real Argentinian beef's :D

Okay buddy, stop making fun of us gringos pobrecitos and tell us about howreewntineanal Argentinean beef is supposed to be. :)

Are you really almagestos in another incarnation? That is okay, I like in-your-face Argies, and will buy you a drink when I come to BA next month!

gatoverde said:
I'd go for JUGOSO just in case.
Because of bad aftose fever memories, Argentinians have become very cautious when it comes to grilling their beef and tend to overdo it-most locals actually like it well-done by default, too.
This is even worsened by the fact that some grill bars tend to "recycle" their beef leftovers by ''re-heating" them again and again until they reach some pitch black shoe sole point.:D
I agree with the advice given above too, do stay away from overly touristy grill restaurants (parrillas) but a few good ones like Desnivel or Don Ernesto in San Telmo.

Don Ernesto in San telmo is fantastic. Was the first parrilla I went to in Argentina, and have never had better beef.

mendozanow said:
Okay buddy, stop making fun of us gringos pobrecitos and tell us about howreewntineanal Argentinean beef is supposed to be. :)

Are you really almagestos in another incarnation? That is okay, I like in-your-face Argies, and will buy you a drink when I come to BA next month!

Nothing against "gringos" because I am one too. The "pobrecitos gringos" are that one that will go every time to (same) restaurants with a lot of other "gringos" where "gringo music" or "gringo beer" will be nice and where the "camarero" will speak "english" and where they can speak "english" :D

There are a lot of smaller parillas in the whole town. I know it from 2005 when I arrived here I was in a dowdy parilla with some drunken guys. Hold on - it was in Las Canitas - where up to today only a few "gringos" were being there with me ;) Here in Almagro it is like the same.

I guess that it is nothing bad to go out with other "gringos" but I prefer to go to real Argentinan restaurants where the beef is a beef and nothing from bad quality or small ones for double prices ;)

Otherwise at the moment I prefer to go to "tenedor libres" with good parillas and good quality and variaty of food. So I like to eat for about 35 pesos (drinks not included) so much as I want !!!

bye alex

Back