Beer

davecox84

Registered
Hi,

I am looking for a store that sells a broader range of local beers. I have been in BA a few weeks and have found a wide range of wine shops but only the same few hum drum brands of beer sold at the supermarket. While in Patagonia I observed a much wider range of "hand crafted" beers for sale that I have not seen in BA. Preferably some where in Palermo but I am willing to travel.

Any advice or experience?

Cheers

Dave

I am looking for a store that sells a broader range of local beers. I have been in BA a few weeks and have found a wide range of wine shops but only the same few hum drum brands of beer sold at the supermarket

"The same few hum drum brands" is like the first rule of eating and drinking in Buenos Aires :rolleyes:

You have Jumbo and Carrefour in Palermo with more variety, but not sure about "hand craft" beers. However I saw this kind of beers being sold at a vineria in San Telmo. I think that both supermarkets have a phone number, kind of customer service, where to call and ask if they have the products you are looking for. Look for atencion al cliente and a phone number that starts with 0-800.

Heladeria Jauja (There's one in Boulevard Cervino and segui or in between salguero and the zoo) sells bottled Patagonian "real ale". You can see the - I assume - yeast accumulated in the bottom.

Best beer I've tried in SA though is "Austral" from Chile but widely available in Arg Tierra del Fuego.

Carrefour and Coto have some variety including some Patagonian varieties.

Cervelar (Viamonte 336, cervelar.com.ar) has a ton of microbrews, Patagonian and all - not too far from Palermo either.

Disco on Las Heras entre Lafinur y Republic Siria has a decent range, i even get my favorite Hoegaarden there.

davecox84 said:
Any advice or experience?

Cheers

Dave

By far, hands down, without a doubt, no comeptetion: the Dry Stout at Buller's in Recoleta.

I have tried two other local beers around the country (in many years of searching) that I liked, but was not able to ever try a second time.

I don't care for any of the beers that are imported into Argentina.

PM me if you'd like my description of the palatal characterisitcs of the dry strout :)

The brand "Patagonia" is actually made by Quilmes these days, and marketed as a Premium Beer. There are a number of "Brew Pubs" springing up around the city, with interesting varieties, and Treffen in San Telmo is a Beer Museum (their words) - It;s on Piedras near Plaza de Mayo, and well worth a visit to see the range of beers (and try them out).

Breoghans in San Telmo have their own brewed beer range, and another to look out for is Slainte, found at a few bars around town. The Gibraltar has a Cask Conditioned Ale, Kingston, along with Antares, and Gambrinus, the latter of which has a very nice Pale Ale.

I actually believe that the range of beer in the city is excellent, when you know where to look, but the chain supermarkets will let you down.

Back