Being Scammed By Hertz Argentina

Please feel free to re-tweet @gustavokliewer any number of the tweets I have created for: @hertzargentina @hertz

I have also posted the "bill" of 20000 ARS without any detail of the problem or the mechanics details. Some of you mentioned that cars are not serviced well and renters are not mechanics. I should also mention it was 40° that day in the mountains. It all adds up ... fast cash from stupid tourists.

As I am now running out of money I have also reached out to newspapers & consumer advocates.

Funny thing - Hertz USA on the phone says it takes weeks to email down to BsAs central office and get the facts, but when I tweet I get info in real time. Go social media!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.31.30 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-30 at 12.31.30 PM.png
    514.8 KB · Views: 29
At Villa 31, Flea-Bite-Nite Hostel, shared bunk bed :rolleyes:

Prices differ depending on where you live. I am in Córdoba and BsAs might have higher prices. I live in a lovely 3rd floor apartment with pool and security. I share it with one person. Two bedrooms and two baths. i guess you just need to look hard enough.

what kind of car would 150,000 pesos buy here?

Even more curious, what kind of apartment can one rent for 20000 pesos in bulk for 12 months at a average of 1670 pesos/rent or 120 usd a month?

Cofico, Córdoba... nice place with pool and life and security

Hej, I asked my taxi driver yesterday what 20 000 ARS would buy and he proudly showed me his FIAT that is two years old. 15 000 ARS. I guess it depends on where you look and who one knows?

Like I said, you wont get a car for 20,000 ARS unless its a write off ;-)

I seen this rust bucket going for US$1500 elsewhere in South America. When I laughed of it, the owner proudly said to me, -mire hombre- este coche es hecho en Japon, calidad Japonesa, no se rompe!

Maybe I'm too late with the advice here, but don't go to the police, you will waste half your day and they will not do anything. Go to the local office of defensa del consumidor from wherever you are and file a claim with them. In Bs As City it works very well, but I don't know where you are. It doesn't matter what your contract with Hertz says, if the clauses are abusive their are null under consumer law. Keep all your records of whatever you have to prove what happened (paperwork with Hertz, your credit card statement, etc). If the consumer protection office doesn´t work, you can always sue, but it takes time and money and lawyers... Hope this helps a bit, and good luck with everything!

I was talking to someone who just got back from Italy and she had troubles with Hertz also. Perhaps this is how they do business.

Maybe I'm too late with the advice here, but don't go to the police, you will waste half your day and they will not do anything. Go to the local office of defensa del consumidor from wherever you are and file a claim with them. In Bs As City it works very well, but I don't know where you are. It doesn't matter what your contract with Hertz says, if the clauses are abusive their are null under consumer law. Keep all your records of whatever you have to prove what happened (paperwork with Hertz, your credit card statement, etc). If the consumer protection office doesn´t work, you can always sue, but it takes time and money and lawyers... Hope this helps a bit, and good luck with everything!

For kitaat, In case you lost the link I already posted on page 1 of this thread, for the Defensa del Consumidor I post ot again, if you need it. This entity fined Aerolineas Argentinas for False Advertising....

http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/noticias/aerolineas-argentinas-fue-sancionada-por-publicidad-enganosa

http://www.buenosair...fensaconsumidor

aerolineas.png

Great advice! Thank you. I was at the Defensa de Consumidor in Córdoba today. They were very professional, and the end result will likely be the DdC mediating a meeting between Hertz and me. If HertzARG had shown what the 20,000 ARS had gone towards purchasing or even just faked some kind of mechanic's certificate, it would have felt a lot more like the legitimate, international Hertz i have known for years. But Hertz Argentina is pure mafia.......

I was just going to mention this. In this case, however, the card will likely not cover the "loss-of-use" fees charged by the rental company.

http://www.creditcar...s-vary-1273.php

Today I got an email from Citi regarding my AAdvantage card (issued in the US). It seems they are now covering "loss of use" fees: https://www.cardbene...r~AAPlatRefresh

What’s Covered

The reasonable cost of repair or the cash value of the car, whichever is less, up to $100,000 if your rental car is damaged or stolen. This includes:
  • Rentals shorter than 31 consecutive days
  • Rental company charges for loss of use while car is being repaired
  • Cost of towing your rental car (if necessary)
  • Any deductibles that may need to be paid if you have another policy that will provide coverage first
----
This is the first credit card company that I have seen to start covering these fees.

Back