Being Scammed By Hertz Argentina

kitaat

Registered
I just arrived in Argentina last week, and boy what a reception I've got!

I rented a car in Cordoba to drive to Mendoza for a few days. A couple of hours out of town, the red oil light went on, and I immediately stopped the car. Regardless, I have now been fraudulently charged over 2,000 USD for "reckless" driving without any proof of this from a mechanic. They simply used my pre-authorized slip to put the charge through.

This car I drove broke down in the middle of no-where. I didn't do anything. It simply broke down. Yet they accuse me of continuing to drive, thereby ruining the car. I think the car was just not serviced well, and I was the unlucky schmuck who got it. After it broke down, I waited for three hours and had to pay a passing stranger to drive me to the nearest town to call Hertz Argentina. I was shocked to get an email from their customer service office in Buenos Aires accusing me and promptly picking the nice, round figure of 20,000 ARS to bill me. There was no detail on the invoice. Just the amount. 20,000 ARS or 2kUSD. I have since asked my credit card to stop payment, but it already went through. I feel this is fraud or a scam, as I read it this has happened to others before. I'm trying to call Hertz USA daily, but they just keep "escalating it". My bank account will not be able to support the charge. Moreover, the credit card company is saying that if I think this is fraud, I should go to the police here in Argentina. I was considering that, but would doing so in Argentina help or hinder matters?

If any of you has any ideas about how to handle this, I'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks.

Just a little update...I'm going to go to the police station with a local Argentine friend to make a denuncia. I don't know if that will help, but I hope it doesn't hurt!

Your credit card should be able to reject the charges, it's their responsibility! I'd press them first. Then it will be on Hertz to chase you for the money, not you chasing Hertz.

EDIT: Sorry, not sure where you are from, and credit card laws vary by country. Still seems crazy that they would let a fraudulent payment go through - which is what this is.

Doesn't matter if it's already gone through - your credit card can/should reverse the payment while it is being investigated. Where is the credit card from?

Also, did you have insurance on the car?

So sorry - what a nightmare.

Looks like the OP is German?

A U.S. bank will process a chargeback almost immediately and refund you the money until they conclude their investigation. Not sure how that works in Germany...

Doesn't sound like a scam. It's a commercial dispute where your version of events differs from the company's. Next time make sure the car is insured up the wazoo, confirm what you have to do in case of an accident/breakdown with the rental company, and keep a paper trail. Good luck.

Also, credit cards from the US usually offer some type of insurance protection when renting cars that cover these kind of things. Have you talked to your credit card company?

Sorry to hear your bad experience with the rental car company.

Don't know but is insurance on the rental car covers its engine seizing up? I think the car insurance only covers accidents such as collision or vandalism.

I was looking the Hertz rental insurance coverage but too broad to define all.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

k) If the Car incurs non-accident damage during your rental, you are responsible and must report it to the Customer Care Center as soon as it is safe to do so.
l) While Hertz regularly maintains its Cars, members are responsible to ensure that their Car is in proper working order during a reservation including without limitation taking all steps set out in section VII.
1) You are permitted, without prior authorization, to incur minor vehicle expenses that are for less than $30 (e.g., oil, fluids, light bulb/wiper blade/fuse replacement, etc.). You will be reimbursed for such expenses provided that you obtain a receipt that includes your name and the Car's mileage. You must mail the receipt to Hertz for processing of a credit to your bill. No refunds or credits will be given without a receipt. Any amount over $30, with the exception of refueling in accordance with Section X.e), must have documented authorization from the Customer Care Center prior to expenditure to be eligible for a refund. Except as stated in this paragraph, neither you nor anyone else may authorize the provision of any service or repair to a Car without Hertz's prior documented approval.
See the hole insurance and liabilities: http://www.hertz247....msandconditions

Just a little update...I'm going to go to the police station with a local Argentine friend to make a denuncia. I don't know if that will help, but I hope it doesn't hurt!

What a horrible story, hope your denuncia is taken at the Police Station. As someone said the problem is a commercial dispute between private parties. Hertz will present their case and they have local prescence in Agentina for many years, their legal department will surely take the case. Probably the case needs also to be presented to the Defensa del Consumidor...!
https://www.hertzargentina.com.ar/terms.html?switch_lang=1

EXCLUSIONS:
1. - Engine failure, and in this case the customer to pay the total amount budgeted by an official dealership. 2 - Airbag: any eventuality if they will trigger the airbag, must be paid in full by The customer pays ALL OF THESE ITEMS AND DAMAGES ABOVE THE 100%.

http://www.buenosair...fensaconsumidor

I had a similar case where Hertz held the deposit for over a month, the CC was blocked for US$2000, not charged ! The local Hertz claimed they had advised Hertz USA to contact the CC company. It fell between 2 desks.

Back