Belgrano Day School or Lincoln School?

RKroberts

Registered
Hi there, I’ll soon be in Bs As and I need some advice on bilingual school. I’m English and my wife is Argentinian

Which of these two schools offers the best education?

My children are only 2, 3 and 4 years old growing fast… I would like to get my them on one of these school but I’m not too sure which school to choose. Which one would you guys recommend?

I can hardly find reviews on them online.

There have been some other conversations about this in the past, this one seems to have the most input:

I don't know if these guys are bilingual or not. You can always ask. But they seem to run a good school.

I have lived nearby for the last 4 years and a bit, and they have been good neighbours.

I was also impressed with their attention to physical security. In the afternoon when they are loading the kids on the bus to take them home, they count them twice; once coming out the gate of the school, and then again boarding the bus. And they always have a police officer present at that time. I'm not sure how they manage that, but they do.

Hi there, I’ll soon be in Bs As and I need some advice on bilingual school. I’m English and my wife is Argentinian

Which of these two schools offers the best education?

My children are only 2, 3 and 4 years old growing fast… I would like to get my them on one of these school but I’m not too sure which school to choose. Which one would you guys recommend?

I can hardly find reviews on them online.
If your referring to Lincoln School in Zona Norte (assuming you are), there are a few considerations before pursuing. If you are looking strictly at education level - IMO Lincoln is incredible. Depending on your situation, the below might not be a concern:

#1. The price. If your employer pays or money isn’t a problem, then this is a great option. If not, please consider the one-time capital assessment fee of $12,000USD + 20kUSD year per child. It’s pricey.

#2. If you are living in Palermo, it’s a 30-45 min. commute one-way. Most kids take a private bus. Also, consider shuttling kids to play dates/bday parties of friends who live near the school. The bday party scene in BsAs is no joke.

#3. It’s strictly in English - the only Spanish language is spoken during physical ed. if your children are planning to be in Buenos Aires temporarily, might not be an issue.

#4. The school follows the US calendar. This is actually kind of nice if you travel during the Northern Hemisphere summer to escape the winter here.

My intel is a bit old since my child went there ages ago, but he and we loved Belgrano Day School. It’s a Cambridge IB school, so follows that standard curriculum if you more elsewhere. He had a Spanish teacher half of the day and English the other half. Amazing playfields (out of the city) that they went to 2-3 times per week. Excellent support as his Spanish got up to speed. We felt very safe there. Loved the neighborhood and being in CABA with Argentines instead of a lot of foreigners. We ended up living near BDS, although finding a place is a challenge. No one seems to leave Belgrano R. I still follow news about the school and I’m still impressed. All in all, highly recommended.

If your referring to Lincoln School in Zona Norte (assuming you are), there are a few considerations before pursuing. If you are looking strictly at education level - IMO Lincoln is incredible. Depending on your situation, the below might not be a concern:

#1. The price. If your employer pays or money isn’t a problem, then this is a great option. If not, please consider the one-time capital assessment fee of $12,000USD + 20kUSD year per child. It’s pricey.

#2. If you are living in Palermo, it’s a 30-45 min. commute one-way. Most kids take a private bus. Also, consider shuttling kids to play dates/bday parties of friends who live near the school. The bday party scene in BsAs is no joke.

#3. It’s strictly in English - the only Spanish language is spoken during physical ed. if your children are planning to be in Buenos Aires temporarily, might not be an issue.

#4. The school follows the US calendar. This is actually kind of nice if you travel during the Northern Hemisphere summer to escape the winter here.
Are you serious about those fees? That's really shocking. It would be interesting to see a list of the universities that accepted their graduates (class of 2023). If academic standards are really high, most students should have been admitted to leading universities.

Lincoln for high school is the same price nearly as an elite US prep school that sends most of its graduates to top tier universities. I don't think Lincoln has that kind of pull and prestige.

Lincoln for high school is the same price nearly as an elite US prep school that sends most of its graduates to top tier universities. I don't think Lincoln has that kind of pull and prestige.
It used to be true that elite prep schools in the US had pull with the Ivy League and similar elite colleges but that is not so much the case now. Academic achievement, extra curricular activity and SAT scores matter (though some universities have sidelined SATs recently) and diversity matter. Where the private schools have an advantage is in being able to select the best students, allowing the the chools to achieve high standards. I suspect that Lincoln takes anyone who can pay. It woud be interesting to see where their 2003 graduates went on to study after leaving Lincoln.

I'd never pay that kind of money to send kids to school in BUENOS Aires. That's just nuts. The only ones I knew that sent their kids there were people I met that were there temporarily for work for a few years (Exxon, etc). I don't know of any locals that went there so I am also curious what kid of colleges they are going to.

I'd be depressed now if I was in high school. My child is in high school with 4.0 grade average, Varsity athlete, extracurricular activities and she feels dumb compared to all the Asian and Indian kids at her school that are all getting 4.5+ above. Where we live, people are moving in from all over the world, especially Asia and India and it's really tough for kids now to compete with them.

I think spending that kind of money for such young children is crazy. There are good private schools there that are only a few hundred US $ a month now with the exchange rate. The cost has actually gone down for all my friends in US dollar terms. I think my friend said she is spending $400 US per kid and half the day is in English.

Back