Belgrano - Tango

prettejohn

Registered
Heading off for the evening into Belgrano. Would really like to see a good tango show and meal with the wife. Preferably off the tourist track. Any recommendations?
Thank you in advance.

Check with the tangotel EL CONVENTILLO DE LUJO, located in Benjamin Matienzo y Ciudad de la Paz I believe, ask for Amy, (english speaker)or her husband, an American. Nice place too.

Tango dinner show houses are located in the city because that's where the hotels are. That's the only way they can stay in business. I know the city is a long drive for you from Hurlingham.

El Conventillo de Lujo is an apartment building for tango tourists, not a tango dinner show house.

The problem with going to a restaurant with a "tango show" away from the city is that the "food" may be the main event for most people, and tango is only background dinner music. Locals can hear tango all the time on the radio.

To illustrate my point, the notable bars host free tango concerts in the evening. I attended one with an outstanding violin/piano duo where a table of ten locals were more interested in talking while eating pizza even after the violinist made a request asking people to hold their conversations until later. He was ignored, and they never shut up.

Portenos have perfected the art of conversation with food in their mouths.

If you want to see a tango show, check the schedule for the annual TANGO BA with free concerts or attend Mora Godoy's show at Teatro Astral that runs August 12-25 (100 pesos and up). These kinds of events have audiences that want to hear and see tango.

Back