Best bars and pubs

Hiya! Raymond here, I have been hanging with some expats here in BA and doing some pubcrawls in san telmo and palermo and can unreservedly reccommend a night or two of this sort of partying, as it is a great way to get to know different areas of the city and checking out some good bars and clubs without having to wait in long queues to get in...
F.Y.I see below....hope this helps!
A pub crawl, also commonly referred to as a "bar tour" or "bar-hopping", is the act of one or more people drinking in a number of pubs in a single night, normally walking between them.

In a nut shell, the pub crawl is a great way to meet people and fellow travelers from all over the world while experiencing some of the hottest venues that the city's nightlife has to offer!
What do you get?

- Free Empanada's and Pizza
Something light to start off the night! (During registration only)

- Open Bar
Free-flowing beer and wine throughout registration!

- Complimentary Shots
Receive a free shooter upon arriving at every bar!
(Includes 4 bars)

- Drink Discounts in Every Joint
Why pay full price? Receive special drink prices exclusive
to Pub Crawlers only!

- Free Club Admission
End your evening right by jumping the line at a club!
How much is it?
Guys get all of this and more for just 60 pesos! That boils down to about US$20, €12, or £10. Ladies on the other hand only have to pay 50 pesos. In other words, every night is ladies night!
Lastly, the pub crawl is free for those who choose to celebrate their birthday with us....cheers, Raymond
Oh, We meet every Monday, Friday and Saturday evening in San Telmo at Cyrano Resto-Bar. Located at Chile 686 (between Peru and Chacabuco) 9pm.
Thursday in Palermo beside the fountain in Plaza Campaña del Desierto AKA Plaza Armenia at the intersection of Costa Rica and Armenia, 9pm yeehaw

Hey Granadaiscool, I guess it depends on how old you are, what you are looking for, and how long you will be staying... If you are "young", and not planing on staying more than a few weeks/months.. the pub crawl could be for you. That being said... the reason I say few weeks/months is that, most of the people that partake in a "pub-crawl" (I have not, just seen).. you will get very drunk, probably have a "blast" with your fellow crawlers, but will most likely make an "ass" out of yourself to the locals... A few good places to find a "mix" of expats and locals...Sugar Bar, Costa Rica y Armenia.. likely to meet many people, both local and expat...
Mundo Bizzaro, Guatemala 4802... much the same...few blocks away Million, Parana 1048...a bit more upscale in decor...but good varietyCongo, Honduras 5329... more local... nice large patio... less likely to meet new people..but still good fun. Get there b4 23:00, doorman can be "dicks"Kim y Novak, Guemes 4900... for a mix of expats and locals... gets going around 2:30am... more of an SF alternative meets NY East village thing...chau,Chris

I was going to say that just because you live in BsAs doesn't mean that you have to subject yourself to tango music and milongas. (Although tango music isn't as bad as regaton/cumbia- I have no idea how to tell those two apart, but I know that I hate both with a passion.)
I was also going to recommend SUGAR Bar in Palermo. They allow smoking (which is illegal), but you actually get a fairly decent mix of groups of girls (usually). It is more of a 21 to 30/35 year old hangout with extremely moderate drink prices and good music (a non-native dj). You won't hear any tango, regaton, or cumbia. Ever!
I also was going to mention MILION on Paraná between Marcelo T. Alvaer & Santa Fe. This place is fairly expensive, which limits it to extranjeros & wealthy porteños. It is a restaurant with a bar area in an old mansion, if you can call a building with its sides touching other buildings "a mansion", that has been converted into a really cool place.
They have good "frozen" drinks (I prefer the Frozen Mojito) that seem to continually go up in price. April-July of '07 these drinks were AR$17, in October/November they were AR$19, this Feb-April (or so) they were AR$21... I don't know what they are now, but I'll find out on Friday.
The crowd is a little more ~24-45, depending on if the people are just there for drinks or if they had dinner there as well. In warmer weather, the backyard is a great place for drinks or dinner, but in colder weather it depends on how well the heat lamps do against the environment. (I think there is kind of a tent for the cold months.)
Bangalore in Palermo (Hollywood) can be ok, but it can also be a sausage-fest. But the Indian food there is good as well. It is basically a London Curry House. And in warmer months, the crowd spills out to a few benches out front. Ages 20-35+.

Can you give me the exact directions of those bars?
Between Alvear and Santa Fe, is not really specific ;)

"CABJ" said:
Can you give me the exact directions of those bars?
Between Alvear and Santa Fe, is not really specific ;)
Are you talking about this?-
"I also was going to mention MILION on Paraná between Marcelo T. Alvaer & Santa Fe."
I don't know if you are kidding or not, because that is one small block. The actual address is: Parana 1048
That is the WEST side of the street (AWAY from Av. 9 de Julio & the water).
Here is the number: 54-11-4815-9925
If you call ahead, perhaps someone can stand outside waving a flag. ;-)

CABJ: are you able to walk from your bedroom to bathroom or do you need directions, coordinates and distance for that too?

Now, like many streets here, there are TWO "Alvears".
If you find yourself at the corner of Alvear & Ayacucho... you're either going to the Alvear Palace Hotel or to BLACK.
If you find yourself on Parana between MARCELO T. Alvear & Santa Fe, then you are probably going to Milion.
Is your bathroom IN your apartment or down the hall?

"danc" said:
CABJ: are you able to walk from your bedroom to bathroom or do you need directions, coordinates and distance for that too?
Thanks for your kind words. Seems to me that you are really cool in the virtual world

Back