Best BBQ/Barbecue/Barbacoa sauce

Quinn

Registered
Figured if there are any other traditional southern USA BBQ fans here, that it would be worthwhile to have a dedicated thread to some of the off the counter sauce options here in BA.

There are a number of different BBQ sauce styles even in the US. Some focus on a heavier tomato presence, like many restaurants in BA will use. In Carolina, the sauce is more watery with a heavier vinegar base. And then there is my personal preference, a thicker, darker, smokier and sweeter sauce.

So I'll start off with (2) BBQ sauces I've found thus far:

Danica BBQ Barbacoa Salsa:

It's about $5AR for a regular size bottle. It's pretty good. Reasonably dark with a good amount of liquid smoke to give it that proper flavor. It's thick and sweet with real good flavor. Great for a pulled pork sandwich, grilling companion, or accompaniment.

Hellmens Salsa de Barbacoa:
Hellmens isn't a brand synonymous with BBQ. It's basically a bottle of ketchup that has a few things thrown in. But you look at the color, and it's just slightly less red than the bottle of ketchup right next to it. As it's not my style preference, I didn't even buy it to give it a try.

Anyone else have any to share?

I'd be making my own already if I knew where to buy liquid smoke, molasses, etc around here ;)

Quinn said:

I'd be making my own already if I knew where to buy liquid smoke, molasses, etc around here ;)

Could it be that "miel de cana" is molasses or is very close to it ? It's liquid unrefined sugar cane, no ?

I've seen liquid smoke at Casa Polti in Belgrano. But I haven't been there in a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they had molasses too. Do a search on here as there was a discussion about molasses not to long ago.

I saw liquid smoke at both Jumbo and Disco

French jurist said:
Could it be that "miel de cana" is molasses or is very close to it ? It's liquid unrefined sugar cane, no ?

Nope! I use Miel de Caña as a substitute for Golden Syrup. Brits will know the tins of Lyles Golden Syrup with the picture of the Lion on the side. It's not quite the same as golden syrup, but it works and it certainly isn't like molasses. Sorry!

Melaza is molasses, and you can buy it at Doña Clara or in some scattered dieteticas around town:) I just bought some last week.

I'd be making my own already if I knew where to buy liquid smoke, molasses, etc around here ;)[/quote]

Got liquid smoke in jumbo Almagro in what used to be the international section but is now mostly suaces, and said international products waiting to find a good home.

I have only found Danica and Hellmans across the city, the flavor is almost identical being Danica darker and thicker ( and cheaper! )

I have seen Bullseye BBQ sauce (both hickory and regular) in Coto and barrio Chino...

Hunts BBQ sauce and Bullseye Hickory BBQ sauce spotted at Careford a few days ago. Sometimes Jumbo or Careford will stock KC Masterpiece, but have not seen it in awhile.

Back