Best city besides Buenos Aires for foreigner to live in?

Just spent 2 months in Alta Gracia outside of Cordoba. Currently in Villa Carlos Paz. Both have quality internet, something I found a bit lacking in Jujuy province. VCP at 75,000 is a very developed small city and very touristy. Alta Gracia is 50,000 and feels like a big town. However it has good amenities for its size and is only 22 miles from Cordoba. People are nice enough in VCP but I found Alta Gracia to be a cut above in friendliness. Haven't seen all of Argentina yet but suspect in these smaller cities no matter where you go the people are going to be great. Just a matter of deciding if you want plains, coasts, low lying mountains, or jaw dropping mountain scenery.

The website Speed Test lists internet speeds for cities and towns all over Argentina. If you like streaming Netflix, Amazon Prime, etc it really makes a difference where you end up. Not just speed but stability too. A lot of the popular places in the Andes don't have great speeds listed. I do know that bigger cities like Mendoza do have neighborhoods and suburbs with fiber optic. There are small cities in Buenos Aires province like Azul, Olavarria, and Tandil that have excellent internet. Buenos Aires Province being the most populated seems to be the best overall connected.

Curious, somewhat related - do you all prefer living in homes or apartments here in Argentina? I've been considering buying real estate - I see pros and cons of both...

Curious, somewhat related - do you all prefer living in homes or apartments here in Argentina? I've been considering buying real estate - I see pros and cons of both...
I prefer apartment living, more amenities, safer with a building guard, less upkeep etc. A nice view doesn't hurt either

Just spent 2 months in Alta Gracia outside of Cordoba. Currently in Villa Carlos Paz. Both have quality internet, something I found a bit lacking in Jujuy province. VCP at 75,000 is a very developed small city and very touristy. Alta Gracia is 50,000 and feels like a big town. However it has good amenities for its size and is only 22 miles from Cordoba. People are nice enough in VCP but I found Alta Gracia to be a cut above in friendliness. Haven't seen all of Argentina yet but suspect in these smaller cities no matter where you go the people are going to be great. Just a matter of deciding if you want plains, coasts, low lying mountains, or jaw dropping mountain scenery.
Which was your favorite city in the Sierras de Cordoba?

Neuquén Capital!
What is Neuquen like?

So far have visited:
- Cordoba and towns in the sierras - loved it, people are nice, scenery is fantastic, towns well taken care of and seem safe. Regional accent is cool! Region has interesting economy. Nothing like the dysfunctional Argentina one hears about. A lot of tourism in the Sierra towns but it's more local.
- Bariloche - way too touristy for me. Will go to Villa Angostura and Junin de Los Andes. Any other towns worth visiting? Neuquen is quite far.

Yet to see:
- Tandil
- Mendoza, San Rafael

Clarification: by culture, I meant the way people think and act. Not interested in theater, shows, etc. Hard to describe but I like friendly, not drugged up, not criminal, pride & distinct local city & culture, not obsessed with trends out of the West, love for life, and generally buena onda.

Thanks to all!

Last edited:
I could live in la Cumbre...if I had $255K USD (plus all the extra costs) to spend on a house.

And if I had $345K USD (plus all the extra costs) to spend, I could live here:

And if I had $430K USD (plus all the extra costs) to spend, I would want to live here:

Driving on the roads saw so many nice houses in beautiful locations. Some in small towns or within 30 minutes of them. Probably can find much cheaper in person.

If you like small towns, La Cumbre (and neighboring towns) in the Sierras de Córdoba. It used to be premier Anglo-Argentine hill town resort for the railway expats, after WWII, the British did a comprehensive survey of the best places to live in the world and La Cumbre was in the top 5. After the British left, it has stagnated a bit, but still has great homes, clubs, recreation and restaurants for a town its size.
That's interesting. What were the other towns in the top 5?

Villa Carlos Paz has more going on but Alta Gracia gets my vote of the two cities I spent time in. Back in the States now and when I return will likely head to El Bolson area. Want bigger mountains in the distance.

Back