Best city besides Buenos Aires for foreigner to live in?

What is Neuquen like?

So far have visited:
- Cordoba and towns in the sierras - loved it, people are nice, scenery is fantastic, towns well taken care of and seem safe. Regional accent is cool! Region has interesting economy. Nothing like the dysfunctional Argentina one hears about. A lot of tourism in the Sierra towns but it's more local.
- Bariloche - way too touristy for me. Will go to Villa Angostura and Junin de Los Andes. Any other towns worth visiting? Neuquen is quite far.

Yet to see:
- Tandil
- Mendoza, San Rafael

Clarification: by culture, I meant the way people think and act. Not interested in theater, shows, etc. Hard to describe but I like friendly, not drugged up, not criminal, pride & distinct local city & culture, not obsessed with trends out of the West, love for life, and generally buena onda.

Thanks to all!
I read San Martin de los Andes is very nice. One thing that struck me about Alta Gracia and elsewhere was how respectful teenagers and young adults were to older people. Might be different in Buenos Aires, don't know, but I wasn't seeing tattoos, body piercings, or strange haircuts. And walking around at night I never felt threatened. It's a great country if you bring an income.

I read San Martin de los Andes is very nice. One thing that struck me about Alta Gracia and elsewhere was how respectful teenagers and young adults were to older people. Might be different in Buenos Aires, don't know, but I wasn't seeing tattoos, body piercings, or strange haircuts. And walking around at night I never felt threatened. It's a great country if you bring an income.
Plenty of tattooed, pierced, weird youth in Cordoba city. The locals tell me there is a big drug problem but a lot safer than other parts like Buenos Aires and Rosario.

No need for bigger peaks. Wondered around blissfully totally alone in the sierras for several hours and it was magnificent. Could trek for hundreds of kilometres. I'm not into technical climbing.

I never stream Netflix, etc but internet seemed fine.

Villa Carlos Paz has more going on but Alta Gracia gets my vote of the two cities I spent time in. Back in the States now and when I return will likely head to El Bolson area. Want bigger mountains in the distance.
El Bolson is in the wrong direction for me. My plan is to drive Bariloche - Villa Angostura - Martin de los Andes - Junín - Bariloche to fly out.

Will stay 1 night in San Martín and another in Junín.

What's interesting about El Bolson?

El Bolson is in the wrong direction for me. My plan is to drive Bariloche - Villa Angostura - Martin de los Andes - Junín - Bariloche to fly out.

El Bolson has some of the best camping in the country. Loaded with campgrounds and surrounded by hiking trails. It's a hippie town in part but that's because it's got a great climate overall. I'd see it over Junin unless you're into fly fishing. Villa Angostura and San Martin de los Andes are upscale enclaves I've read. Very nice but expensive. Nothing against the Central Sierras though. Great towns all over it. But I do enjoy the big mountain scenery.

El Bolson has some of the best camping in the country. Loaded with campgrounds and surrounded by hiking trails. It's a hippie town in part but that's because it's got a great climate overall. I'd see it over Junin unless you're into fly fishing. Villa Angostura and San Martin de los Andes are upscale enclaves I've read. Very nice but expensive. Nothing against the Central Sierras though. Great towns all over it. But I do enjoy the big mountain scenery.
Was told there is a big hippie town in the sierras as well but didn't get a chance to see it.
Might cancel Junín and see Bolson instead.
EDIT: read up and it seems El Bolson is pure tourism where's Junín has other economic activities, namely fruit and cattle. Not into purely tourist based towns.

Last edited:
Lots of fruit in nqn. And Bodega that aren't swamped by tourists. Definitely no foreign tourists come here. All the other tourism is portenos stopping for the night on the way to the mountains.

Was told there is a big hippie town in the sierras as well but didn't get a chance to see it.
Might cancel Junín and see Bolson instead.
EDIT: read up and it seems El Bolson is pure tourism where's Junín has other economic activities, namely fruit and cattle. Not into purely tourist based towns.
It's a long way to El Bolson from anywhere except Bariloche. Tourism is its business plus a lot of produce farms in the area but it's not overwhelming tourism like Villa Carlos Paz or especially Mar del Plata or Bariloche. Just a great place to be. There's a reason people go there, surroundings are beautiful.

San Marcos Sierra is the hippie town in the Central Sierra but it's only about 3000 people. Nearby Capilla del Monte also is a bit of a hippie place but seems its claim to fame is UFO sightings on the nearby big mountain. It's a bit over 10,000 if I remember right.

Have you looked at YouTube videos of these places?

It's a long way to El Bolson from anywhere except Bariloche. Tourism is its business plus a lot of produce farms in the area but it's not overwhelming tourism like Villa Carlos Paz or especially Mar del Plata or Bariloche. Just a great place to be. There's a reason people go there, surroundings are beautiful.

San Marcos Sierra is the hippie town in the Central Sierra but it's only about 3000 people. Nearby Capilla del Monte also is a bit of a hippie place but seems its claim to fame is UFO sightings on the nearby big mountain. It's a bit over 10,000 if I remember right.

Have you looked at YouTube videos of these places?
I haven't. Good idea to look at videos. Thanks!

There are very few expats outside BA, so you need to speak Spanish and be prepared to make local friends.

El Bolson and just a bit more to the south is Esquel (Chubut province) are both nice. Esquel is smaller with access to the Los Alerces national park

Back