Best Coffee in the city??

CUBA! -- once again Cuba is ignored by the list makers. Cubans drink cafe all day long -- and it is the richest - you can smell it in the barrios. The best in the world! Rico!!

LICIA said:
Illy from italy is the best. Jumbo have it

Hm...

Isn't Illy just stamping their logo on coffee from Brazil or Colombia? Well, here's what Wikipedia has to say about it (here):

"Since the end of the 1980s, illy has not purchased green coffee from the international commodity markets, but directly from the source. illycaffé exclusively purchases coffee of the Arabica species, in particular from Brazil, the largest producer worldwide, but also from Colombia, India, and countries in Africa and Central America."

I'm sure the Illy folks know their stuff and get their hands on the best coffee, but it seems a bit silly to use a European middleman to get one's hands on good coffee on the continent where most of it comes from.

jshown said:
CUBA! -- once again Cuba is ignored by the list makers. Cubans drink cafe all day long -- and it is the richest - you can smell it in the barrios. The best in the world! Rico!!

Cubans definitely know how to make good coffee. Love the Cuban coffee here in the US although Cuban immigrants/Cuban-Americans can't actually be using coffee grown in Cuba.

Pretty difficult to get a bad cup of coffee in Colombia, Brazil or Costa Rica, too, though. The little shots of coffee sold for 200 Colombian pesos (around 10 US cents) on the streets of Colombia are better than just about anything you can get in Argentina.

ssr said:
Hm...

Isn't Illy just stamping their logo on coffee from Brazil or Colombia? Well, here's what Wikipedia has to say about it (here):

"Since the end of the 1980s, illy has not purchased green coffee from the international commodity markets, but directly from the source. illycaffé exclusively purchases coffee of the Arabica species, in particular from Brazil, the largest producer worldwide, but also from Colombia, India, and countries in Africa and Central America."

I'm sure the Illy folks know their stuff and get their hands on the best coffee, but it seems a bit silly to use a European middleman to get one's hands on good coffee on the continent where most of it comes from.

Yeah. It does seem silly. But the Italians know how to roast coffee. You should check the prices too. The other day at Disco imported Segafredo was going for AR$50 per kilo while Cabrera was at AR$87...

I'm looking for Brazilian coffee, the brand name is Pilao or something like that.
I've checked out Jumbo but they only have Illy and Segafredo. And Illy is killing me for the price.
Is there any shop in Baires that the Brazilian buys coffee from?

People constantly get confused by the source of the beans. I have had so many argentines and colombians waving bags of colombian coffee in my face telling me that its the best in the world, just because thats what someone told them.

For me the beans are a DISTANT second to the roast. And the darker the roast, the less the beans matter. With a french roast the beans could be from anywhere you're probably not going to taste the difference.

I like a good italian roast and that is what I cannot find easily here in buenos aires.

Back