Best Croissants in Buenos Aires

They just don't know how to make croissants in BA. They're usually dense, full of lard (no butter) and flavorless. The locals think this is the standard for the world. Same with pastry in general - they haven't discovered butter All cheap ingredients. They bake with a heavy hand.

The bakery in the Alvear Palace is OK but not what it should be. I don't recall the croissants being that memorable. Since locals are happy with low standards, why should anyone offer anything better? It won't improve sales.

Locals DO NOT like nor do care to eat original 'French croissants'
french.gif
, BIG spongy full of air and tasteless, that's why you won't find them here but in very few selected places for the 'connoisseur' as yourself.

The media Luna at le galion on sante fe across from the botanical gardens are excellent and very buttery. Not cuisants. But very good media Luna.

Lucas said:
Locals DO NOT like nor do care to eat original 'French croissants'
french.gif
, BIG spongy full of air and tasteless, that's why you won't find them here but in very few selected places for the 'connoisseur' as yourself.

Uh, maybe the locals who have never been out of the country. But all of the portenos I know who have actually been to Paris, or New York or Rome or Berlin or Vienna or any other cosmopolitan city that offers something in the way of high-quality, artesenal baked goods, would beg to differ.

Thanks Lucas ....So where are those select places where a connoisseur like me can find a tasty croissant? That was the purpose of this threat, after all!

chris said:
They just don't know how to make croissants in BA. They're usually dense, full of lard (no butter) and flavorless. The locals think this is the standard for the world. Same with pastry in general - they haven't discovered butter All cheap ingredients. They bake with a heavy hand.

The bakery in the Alvear Palace is OK but not what it should be. I don't recall the croissants being that memorable. Since locals are happy with low standards, why should anyone offer anything better? It won't improve sales.

you're wrong. lard is only used in medialunas "de grasa" and it's expensive to make them because they take so long.
medialunas "de manteca" are made with butter, de grasa with lard, and cheap pastries are made with margarine (like in the states)

chris said:

oh, also. medialunas are not exactly the same as croissants nor they pretend to be.

Hi, so where could I fina good croissants or medialunas near plaza alemania and the zoo? Thanks

Back