Best local credit card for discounts

imranq2

Registered
I recently got a DNI through the rentista program. Since the spread between the official exchange rate and the blue dollar rate is so high these days I don't want to use my US credit card anymore. I just want to get a local credit card that I can pay in pesos cash and can use for discounts in stores, Groupon, booking online on despagar.com.ar, bus agencies and aerolineas argentina. I'll pay off the bill in full in pesos every month.

Any recommendations?

P.s: I did search through the forums but could not find a good answer.

you should get a card from santander bank or frances bank those 2 have most discounts. visa or master. you`ll need to open a "cuenta corriente" to get the card

Santander Rio seems to have the most discounts on mass market consumption type things. Citi has the best discounts on concerts and theatre. HSBC has the best discounts at high end clothing stores.

Pretty much everyone works with at least one big brand electronics chain like Garbarino, Musimundo, Rodo, or whatever. So you end up shopping at the place that corresponds to your card to get the 20 or 40 % off or whatever.

All the banks have the same lousy customer service and high fees.

Yep, think it depends on what you are going for, if your using it for shopping centre purchases, I would recommend Banco Galicia or Santander Rio.

I have Santander Rio and never get discounts. They're all for women. My friend who has Frances does get a lot of things though.

You also realize that AFIP will monitor your credit card spending and if your spending habits are out of line with your reported income (and taxes) you may have some explaining to do. Ask most Argentines how much they use their credit cards...

Sleuth said:
You also realize that AFIP will monitor your credit card spending and if your spending habits are out of line with your reported income (and taxes) you may have some explaining to do. Ask most Argentines how much they use their credit cards...

This is correct. A few of my friends that have local credit cards and spend quite a bit of money with them have recently been sent letters by AFIP. AFIP will see if your spending matches up with the income you are declaring.

Even if you are declaring all your income.... most people wouldn't want hassles with AFIP which can be very time consuming.

When you declare your ganancias annually, your accountant should calculate whether your expenditures are reasonable and advise you how much "white money" you have accumulated for future large purchases. If s/he doesn't do this automatically, request it. Be aware that AFIP is empowered by law to re-calculate your income based on your spending habits and then bill you for unpaid taxes plus steep penalties and interest. All accountants know the general formula, so they can protect you from under-reporting.

I've used Citi for several years. Routine discounts include 15% on everything in Carrefour on Tuesdays if you pay with a debit card (10% with credit card); same at Walmart on Wednesdays. Also 15% at Rodo and Ribeiro with interest-fee payments if you buy by telephone, and 10% on anything at Falabela. As mentioned above, they always have a big list of theater and cine discounts as well. The full current list of discounts is at https://www.argentina.citibank.com/cmpgns/institucional/main.htm.

There are also occasional promotions. One day last week 80% of the stores at Paseo Alcorta were offering 35-40% off with up to 6 payments interest-free. Two weeks ago it was the same at Unicenter. I stocked up at Winery a couple weeks ago during a 40%+cuotas promotion.

Even bigger discounts are available with the private-bank Citigold service, which solves the typical problems with bank customer service and long-lines in exchange for steep monthly charges or high balance requirements. The 40% at Paseo Alcorta, for example, was for purchases with a Citigold card. They currently offer 25-30% off in some of the best restos in the city. You can see the offer at https://www.argentina.citigold.citibank.com/cmpgns/programadining/main.htm?lf=cg.

Citi also offers the American Airlines credit card, so you earn miles at the official exchange rate (1 dollar-equivalent in purchases = 1 airline mile).

At the end of April, I received an advice from Citi that I had saved $13.269 in discounts during the prior 12 months. That seemed high until I did a couple calculations and found it's probably correct. (My purchases included some large items for friends without national credit cards.)

Comparing notes with friends using other banks, it seems to me that the competition, in terms of discounts, is Galicia, Santander Rio, and Banco Frances. You can find their current offers on their web sites. Compare them to your shopping habits to see which would give you the biggest benefit.

Based on the feedback here I'm rethinking getting a credit card... Is there any option to get a prepaid debit card so i can purchase online but pay the bill in pesos cash? Hopefully something I can use without opening a bank account. In the US you can just buy these in grocery stores but I haven't seen them here.

genialf said:
I have Santander Rio and never get discounts. They're all for women. My friend who has Frances does get a lot of things though.

There are lots of discounts at stores and shopping centres for Santander. Patio Bullrich is one example.

Back