Best Methods Of Looking For Apartment (From Abroad)

Whoa, this mercadolibre site is a real education. The differences in the Spanish bit me right off.

Departamento for apartment, where I'm accustomed to the Sponglish apartamento
Alquiler for rental or for-rent, and again I would expect the admittedly-b@st@rdized por renta

Then my brain went into smoking-ears mode trying to convert square meters into square feet. I make it 10.7 sq ft per sq m, if you just multiply 39.4 (inches in a meter) by itself you get 1552 square inches, and then divide that by 144 (square inches in a square foot).

But something is weird, how do you get 4 bedrooms (again, dormitorios where I would have said recamaras) and 3 bathrooms (yes, at last! banos, a familiar word!1), into 1200 sq ft? Are the bedrooms like closet-sized?

And ooooh, look at that picture of the bathroom is that really...a bidet? Sure looks like, either that or a sink for Billy Barty. The ad says, and I quote "3 baños (1 bañera 2 c/duchador)". Well, Google translate doesn't know what a duchador is anymore than I do, but either that's a serious case of what linguists call a "False Friend", or Billy is out of luck.

Whoa, this mercadolibre site is a real education. The differences in the Spanish bit me right off.

Departamento for apartment, where I'm accustomed to the Sponglish apartamento
Alquiler for rental or for-rent, and again I would expect the admittedly-b@st@rdized por renta

Then my brain went into smoking-ears mode trying to convert square meters into square feet. I make it 10.7 sq ft per sq m, if you just multiply 39.4 (inches in a meter) by itself you get 1552 square inches, and then divide that by 144 (square inches in a square foot).

But something is weird, how do you get 4 bedrooms (again, dormitorios where I would have said recamaras) and 3 bathrooms (yes, at last! banos, a familiar word!1), into 1200 sq ft? Are the bedrooms like closet-sized?

And ooooh, look at that picture of the bathroom is that really...a bidet? Sure looks like, either that or a sink for Billy Barty. The ad says, and I quote "3 baños (1 bañera 2 c/duchador)". Well, Google translate doesn't know what a duchador is anymore than I do, but either that's a serious case of what linguists call a "False Friend", or Billy is out of luck.

Great piece of Gringo Humour :D hahahahaha you must go native.... To calculate sq. mts. divide the Sq. ft. by 10 is a good aprox. Very clear 3 baths (1 w. bathtub - 2 w. shower) :cool:

Back