Best part of city to live with a family?

expatinowncountry said:
we rented a car when we just moved... it was such a bad idea. commuting by car to BA is a mess (even without piquetes), people drive very badly, parking is very expensive and leaving the car in the street -if you can find a place- is an invitation for it to be robbed.
if one day we decide to buy a car it would be to go outside the city during the weekends.

Most porteños that can afford a car, have one. Yes it isnt the ideal place to drive, but if I had a family I wouldnt want to live without one, particularly if I was going to be here a while. Carting around 2 toddlers on buses and the subte, no thanks. Yes, parking isnt cheap and I would recommend renting a secure parking space, but you can park on the street on the odd occasion, for a short while (ie if you go out to dinner) and you will be okay. Particularly around the areas where most expats tend to hang out. It would be particularly handy for getting out on the weekends.

If you can afford it and you decide you want to be in Capital Federal, I would still recommend the more upper class areas of CF, being Recoleta, Palermo, Belgrano. Even better and what I always say to people, dont organise anything too permanent until you get here. Spend the first cpl of weeks getting a feel for the city, looking around and seeing what would be the best fit for you and the family.

If I had a family, I wouldnt live in Capital Federal either in a small apartment. Obviously these are my opinions.

To the OP, how long are you planning on being here?

Do you know where your husbands office is located?

I would also suggest that you might consider living outside of the city. We live in Pilar, and for myself and our family (7 year old and 3 year old) the advantages far outweigh the hassle of the daily commute into the city.

The safest parts are Palermo and Villa Urquiza.
Palermo is near downtown and you have a lot of things to do, lots of people, a little mess... but Villa Urquiza is more quiet and calm.

michael1977 said:
The safest parts are Palermo and Villa Urquiza.
Palermo is near downtown and you have a lot of things to do, lots of people, a little mess... but Villa Urquiza is more quiet and calm.

Stay in Palermo or Belgrano or anywhere else in fact.

Villa Urquiza is full of nice quiet friendly Argentine families getting on with their lives well below the radar

Noisy complaining erksome ex-pats who cant wait to stuff their faces full of Macdonalds should keep well away!

There is a draw-bridge and I'm pulling it up!

OK if you are family orientated, nice, quiet and friendly but keep away from Macdonalds :)

I live in Caballito, I love it, leafy, quite and an easy commute to the centre of town. It's full of locals and no tourists with a sense of community. Parks, shopping and restaurants n abundance but no late night bars and nightclubs so perfect for family. To me it feels safe much safer than when I visit Palermo. Not many people know about Caballito to me it's a gem.

Back