Best Quality Canned Fish?

All the salmon that i've seen here is Chilean and as far as I know it comes from fish farms. I have know idea about how well they're fed, I remember the news stories that broke a few years ago were about overcrowding rather than feeding practices. Supposedly that's gotten much better in the last couple years after they had outbreak of disease and is one of the better sources for farmed salmon. Someone told me that the chilean farmed pacific salmon is much better than the atlantic ones, although that was probably hearsay. I've seen both varieties for sale here but the overwhelming majority is atlantic salmon. To get the scoop on the feeding and the like, you could probably follow the fish back from the store to the distributor to the exporter to the producer, but as they say, the proof is in the pudding. Unhealthy fish won't taste the same.

Edit: By the way, I don't think most of it's fresh.

Thanks, PhillipDT. Pretty much what I thought. It's not only the taste that concerns me. It's the idea of eating contaminated, unhealthy fish, which does happen on farms. I'll continue to avoid salmon in Argentina till things change.

Yeah, the Salmon farm in Chile...They are not following the doctrines taught once upon a lomg time free to the chileans back in the late 60's to 70's from the Japanese fish farming experts backed by the Oversea development cooperation agency, govnmnt of Japan. I knew a man or two whom went to chile sent by the Japanese government in order to help country in need to create that Salmon farming industry unknowst to them.

They the chilean, not following the- you have to have very clean environment for the fish to grow healthy despite Japan's teaching. Now they wanting to grow salmon in a very congested and unhealthy enviro for faster and more revenue generating..Due to pure greed..Now the chilean salmon growers selling all almost, harvest to Brazil's exploding, Sushi crazy citizens, they pay the top dollar !

Yeah, the Salmon farm in Chile...They are not following the doctrines taught once upon a lomg time free to the chileans back in the late 60's to 70's from the Japanese fish farming experts backed by the Oversea development cooperation agency, govnmnt of Japan. I knew a man or two whom went to chile sent by the Japanese government in order to help country in need to create that Salmon farming industry unknowst to them.

They the chilean, not following the- you have to have very clean environment for the fish to grow healthy despite Japan's teaching. Now they wanting to grow salmon in a very congested and unhealthy enviro for faster and more revenue generating..Due to pure greed..Now the chilean salmon growers selling all almost, harvest to Brazil's exploding, Sushi crazy citizens, they pay the top dollar !

Actually according to what I've seen there has been a big change towards high quality salmon farming in chile with accompanying premium prices. I'm just not sure any of that is coming to argentina.

Back