Best Thing about this Culture?

But I have to say that not all the culture embraces it. The women here for the most part are jealous and keep track of their men religiously. I have noticed that many women here have some sort of radar where by they are able to detect other women in minutes. They are so precise at homing in on evidence it is almost super natural. If there is even so much as a hair from another women they will some how find it.

On the other side of that, are the men that practice this.. they have detailed routines they follow to make sure no evidence exists. I have a friend that practiced this and his expertise and attention to detail blew my mind. He would even carry a magnifying glass to check his clothes and everything for any hair or other evidence.

But some time ago he got busted and his wife booted him on the spot! She got the house, the kids and all the goodies and he got the boot a child support payment plan and definite lifestyle down grade.

So while it is out there in the open, it is not completely tolerated and accepted and as in all cultures and carries with it potentially life changing repercussions as noted above.

All that aside, if you are not married or are in an open marriage etc.. have at it.

tomdesigns said:
But I have to say that not all the culture embraces it. The women here for the most part are jealous and keep track of their men religiously. I have noticed that many women here have some sort of radar where by they are able to detect other women in minutes. They are so precise at homing in on evidence it is almost super natural. If there is even so much as a hair from another women they will some how find it.

On the other side of that, are the men that practice this.. they have detailed routines they follow to make sure no evidence exists. I have a friend that practiced this and his expertise and attention to detail blew my mind. He would even carry a magnifying glass to check his clothes and everything for any hair or other evidence.

But some time ago he got busted and his wife booted him on the spot! She got the house, the kids and all the goodies and he got the boot a child support payment plan and definite lifestyle down grade.

So while it is out there in the open, it is not completely tolerated and accepted and as in all cultures and carries with it potentially life changing repercussions as noted above.

All that aside, if you are not married or are in an open marriage etc.. have at it.

But... what if it's the other way around?

"Amablemente" (Tango)

La encontró en el bulín y en otros brazos...
Sin embargo, canchero y sin cabrearse,
le dijo al gavilán: "Puede rajarse;
el hombre no es culpable en estos casos."

Y al encontarse solo con la mina,
pidió las zapatillas y ya listo,
le dijo cual si nada hubiera visto:
"Cebame un par de mates, Catalina."

La mina, jaboneada, le hizo caso
y el varón, saboreándose un buen faso,
la siguió chamuyando de pavadas...

Y luego, besuqueándole la frente,
con gran tranquilidad, amablemente,
le fajó treinta y cuatro puñaladas.

I love how Argentines talk, their charm and humor is great. People just seem to enjoy life more, I guess it also comes with the whole live today and don't worry too much about tomorrow mindset.

Yea the girlfriends are super jealous and see everything. I lived with a girl and she was always up in my emails and facebook it was really bad. One time I went out to a club and didn't bother telling her and then a week later she someone told her I had been at that club. They have eyes everywhere haha

A male friend of mine has had a number of affairs with married women and tells me that it is common among bored upper middle class women. A psychologist friend told me that she had a patient who was a good looking personal trainer. Married women threw themselves at him and he started to feel bad about his behavior, so he went to a psychologist.

Friendships: I don't understand why so many expats seem to have trouble making friends back in their home countries, mainly the US I would guess. I've got friends who go back to the second grade. I speak several times a week to a friend I have had since since I was 18. His wife considers me a member of the family and we even go on vacations together. I could give a lot of other examples.

Families are more united here despite the huge divorce rate, that is true. Even when the marriage splits up the parents make a big effort to spend time with the kids.

Materialism: It's just as materialistic here. The difference is that people just don't have the buying power. I know loads of women who love nothing more than trips to Miami and New York - they fill suitcases with clothes. Even people on low salaries spend a lot on their clothes and grooming, electronics and other consumer goods. To be honest, the Americans show more interest in non material things when they travel. They explore all sorts of things in Argentina, history, culture, museums, show a lot of curiosity and an open mind. Most of the Argentines I know don't have the same interests when they go abroad. It's pretty much shopping, Broadway shows, Disney World.

Spending time over coffee and meals is definitely a custom here and I agree that it is a good one. I also like not being rushed by waiters. One of the things I miss in the US are the cafes. I just wish there were more in BA that didn't play rock and pop music. In Europe you can find more that let you talk without forcing the music on you.

A positive aspect of the chaos of Argentina is that there is usually a way out of a mess.

chris said:
Materialism: It's just as materialistic here. The difference is that people just don't have the buying power.

100% true. Back in the nineties, with the famous "1 a 1", people had a significantly greater buying power and I can assure it showed.

Back