Best uk card / bank to use

palermochica said:
I tried this with their international relocation people. It didn't work, namely because I didn't have a DNI. They also couldn't perform their usual "we'll set everything up before you get there so there's no hassle" account opening due to local regulation that you have to be physically present in the country to open an account.

Yes I agree.

The HSBC people in the UK said all that to me and I told them 'It doesn't work like that in Argentina.' They said 'It must do.' We went on like that for quite some time. In their eyes, one may set up sterling accounts, dollar accounts, any accounts and move money around here and there, in and out however one wants in their super-duper super-national bank.

But it doesn't work like that in Argentina. Unless anybody here knows different, of course. As in: 'I do it all the time,' rather than 'a friend of a friend said they knew someone who did something like that once.'

tshaw99 said:
The Nationwide flex account has changed and is now one of the most expensive

Check http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-travel-money for a very comprehensive discussion of the best cards to use

Hmmm... So my Nationwide Flexaccount debit card is not yet amongst the worst but it's certainly more expensive than it used to be and much more expensive than I thought. Thanks for flagging that up.

Ignore my earlier post. Nothing to see... move along there, please!

They can't do it ahead of time but can do it once you are here with your house rental contract, a bill in your name or the owner's name, and a passport. If you are working and have a CUIT or CUIL it is easier. You would need to email or call the local Premier people, they are quite helpful.

Hi nedders,
I agree with elhombresinnombre. We've been in Argentina (Cordoba) for a year and found the Nationwide flex account card the best option. We also have 2 barclaycards and a Lloyds Debit card but they charge a lot more per transaction. We have the other accounts because we've had them for long time and that give us advantages n some things, but we move the money online into Nationwide account when we need money.

Welcome to Argentina, hope you enjoy your time here.

Back