Best way to transfer USD/EUR for house/land purchase?

BAHibs

Registered
Hi everyone,

I'd seen some threads on this subject but didn't see a clear cut answer so was wondering if there are any updates on it.

I'm looking to buy with my partner (not married yet) a piece of land for which I'd need to transfer around 65k USD from abroad into Argentina.

Can anyone recommend the best way of doing this?

I'm here as a tourist so don't have a bank account, my partner has a USD account, could I transfer to this account directly?

Would the escribano be the best person to ask?

Some ideas I'd seen were Casa Puente, a transfer to a USD bank account in Argentina, even bitcoin (I do own bitcoin, how would that work?), what would you advise as the best way?

On another note, has anyone converted a large amount of a non USD currency (GBP, EUR etc) into USD before a transfer to Argentina? What was the best way of doing that? I was thinking Transferwise but not sure if they would do that large of an amount.

Thanks in advance!

I did it 12 years ago using a finance company called Multifinanzas. Things can have changed a lot, I don’t know anything about them since then, but at the time, the service was economical and great. I would suggest trying them, or someplace similar, maybe Casa Puente. I was a tourist and had no other bank account.

I'm looking to buy with my partner (not married yet) a piece of land for which I'd need to transfer around 65k USD from abroad into Argentina.

Unless the laws have changed since the last time I sold property (to an umarried couple) in 2010, when two parties who are not married (or members of the same family?) buy a property jointly, one of the parties can only own a maximum of 25% share of the property and this will be clearly shown on the escritura.

If anyone can confirm this or has updated information, I hope they will reply to this post.

It would be interesting to know if the individual who owns the larger share has the power to sell a property without the consent of the other party (who's signature I imagine would be required to sell the peoperty).

You should clearly discuss methods of payment accepted with the vendor.

If they only want paper dollars or pesos, then you can find either a service like mentioned above, a cueva that will accept digital payments, or you will need to patiently piecemeal with all services until your total is achieved.

Also, not being married may add substantial potential legal risk as Steve mentions above.

There was a recent thread titled "Reliable Way to get USD to Argentina now" that might be useful to search & review. Probably the best advice - talk to your local banker (and your Argentine banker) and see what they have to say about wire transfers. Transferwise (now Wise) has a 10K/month USD (or other)->USD limit imposed at my BA bank, meaning that while Wise could easily solve your problem you'd best not be in a hurry. If you go the route of a financial company (Multifinanzas etc.) I hope you'll let us know how well it worked for you. Good luck.

Last edited:
Ask if seller has account outside of Arg and is interested in transfer to that

Some ideas I'd seen were Casa Puente, a transfer to a USD bank account in Argentina, even bitcoin (I do own bitcoin, how would that work?), what would you advise as the best way?

vh7wy8xamuq61.jpg

There was a recent thread titled "Reliable Way to get USD to Argentina now" that might be useful to search & review. Probably the best advice - talk to your local banker (and your Argentine banker) and see what they have to say about wire transfers. Transferwise (now Wise) has a 10K/month USD (or other)->USD limit imposed at my BA bank, meaning that while Wise could easily solve your problem you'd best not be in a hurry. If you go the route of a financial company (Multifinanzas etc.) I hope you'll let us know how well it worked for you. Good luck.
Which Argentine bank do you use that has the 10,000 USD monthly limit (or are you saying that is just Wise's limit)? Thanks!

Which Argentine bank do you use that has the 10,000 USD monthly limit (or are you saying that is just Wise's limit)? Thanks!
Galicia. I know this bank imposes a 10K limit and at least sometime in the past so did Wise, possibly out of knowledge of the bank limit, possibly for their own purposes. Obviously what is in play is the 10K reporting level in regard to money laundering. Over 10K and governments take notice.

Back