Best Wine for your buck???

I'm a fan of a few. Almost all of these are MUCH CHEAPER IN THE CHINOS than in the grocery store. In fact, sometimes 15%+ cheaper.

ALMA MORA Malbec 2008 (~$21 in cheapest chinos)
ALAMOS Malbec ~2008 (~$29 in cheapest chinos)
Familia Gascon Malbec et al ~2008 (~$24 in cheapest chinos)

Take as much wine as you can (weight wise). They may not charge you anything, but if they do, it's only after the first 4 bottles. And even then, it's only ~3% duty. IT'S NOTHING!!!

PS- Take at least one CHARDONNAY. They will be shocked that the grape doesn't have to taste like wood chips. Alamos or Familia Gascon chardonnay is so refreshingly tasty, you'll wonder what Napa/Sonoma was thinking all these years.

eschal said:
So I'm going back to my country and I need bring back some wines...lots of it! So i don't want to spend a lot on each bottle cause I have big familly. Can you please tell me what is a good 10 to 20 peso purchase. Btw: I welcome the Malbec grape!
Thanks!

You don't want to buy anything under $18 to take back home. Really, it's just not worth it. It's better to buy one or two bottles less and go with ALMA MORA at ~$21 or maybe $22 depending on the chino.

almamoramalbec.gif

Maybe another couple of pesos more for Familia Gascon.

img

Your weight limit will only allow you to take about 10 bottles at most (probably less), so why take mediocre to less than mediocre wine?

Hola,

Here are my picks

Under 20 pesos

* Elemento
* Marcus

20 to 30 pesos
* Latitud 33

I also agree if you are leaving BsAs why not spend a couple peso more and get a better wine. Latitud 33 is a great choice.

Enjoy!
Guille

Santa Julia Roble Malbec costs just a few pesos more than Santa Julia Malbec and is more than worth the difference.

Another good option.....
Finca la Linda Malbec

I have stopped taking wines back with me to the States because the price is often lower in the USA than in Argentina.

Some great examples....Durigutti Malbec and Norton Reserva Malbec, both on the Wine Spectator Top 100 list, and my personal favorite Luigi Bosca Reserva....all sell for U$12.50 or less by ordering online in the States.

Since the OP didn't say what country he is returning to, it is just guessing to advise how many bottles (liters) of booze he can bring back duty free. For example, one can bring in up to 12 liters duty free in Brasil ( no more than 6 of the same item).
One's wine tastes are supremely subjective. Reserves that come from vines that have been trimmed back to produce 25% of the amount of grapes they would normally produce are going to have a more intense flavor. These wines are typically stored in wood for longer periods than other non-reserve or table wines - vin ordinaire. That is the principle reason why they are more expensive - because they cost more to produce.
But juice that has remained in oak for more than 12-14 months, while it has flavor that is more complex than lesser aged wine, loses a lot of the "fruit" and the flavor takes on much more of the wood. I prefer younger aged, fruitier wine. Lucky for me they are cheaper.

Whatever your wine budget allows or wherever your tastes run I want to put in a plug for a very simpatico and knowledgeable sommelier who has a wine business in BA. His name is Nigel Tollerman and his company is 0800 Vino. Google that and you will get him and lots of stuff written about him and his company. He's also on facebook.
Nigel can reommend the "best" wines within the price range you specify. His prices are competitive (I think probably the absolute lowest), he takes plastic over the phone, and he delivers locally. He will bubble wrap your purchases for travel. A great merchant.

Back