Best Yerba Mate?

geoffbob

Registered
Can anyone recommend an extra premium brand of mate? I've tried: Rosamonte, Taragui, Amanda, Noblesa Gaucha, Canarias and many others you'd see readily available at grocers in BsAs. But they are not in the same class as a nameless blend from Misiones (via a reseller) that I was drinking for many years in Miami. Unfortunately owing to customs regs. I can't get it mailed to me in Medellin. I've already had some confiscated. My Argie buddy is taking a trip to BsAs and he says he'll get me whatever I want. I'd be willing to pay a bit more if I could find a premium brand. Is there a shop that specializes in high quality mate? Can ya help a guy out with a recommendation?

La Merced is our favorite.

http://www.lasmarias.com.ar/esp/detalle.php?a=yerba-mate-/-la-merced&t=9&d=35

I drink QuiQui.
Qui Qui grows it, picks it, and dries it. Organic, hand processed, straight from the maker.
You buy it at the co-op, which sells many direct from producer foods, at Mercado Bonpland.
http://asamblearia.blogspot.com/p/mercado-bonpland.html

no, you cant get it at disco.

I can't stand the stuff but my wife always buys Union although I've no idea how 'premium' or 'non premium' that brand is I'm afraid. It does seem to be easily available. She does go through hell of a palaver when making it. First she will sift it which causes a dust cloud in the kitchen and only uses what's left. She ends up throwing about half the bag in the bin. :confused:

The one thing I haven't been able to do yet, in my ten years here, is drink tea made from grass ( :) as I tease my girls) Although, I must admit that when in Paraguay and the sun is beating down on you and someone whips out the terere, I have been known to partake...

They use Union, which they seem to think is better than Taragui and a couple of others that I can't remember, but I doubt it will be the same as the mix you used to buy. It all depends on what is mixed in, and if it was a regional blend, it's likely that it's got something in it that most don't use. Probably some kind of "remedio juju" additive, as my girls say in Guarani, which may be similar to how they blend it in Missiones, that gives it the flavor you like? Their mother sends them various leaves and grasses bundled and kept in bags every time someone comes from Paraguay to Buenos Aires...

the best mate is usually small producer, organic stuff. Its a bit more expensive than supermarket mate, but worth it.
If your friend cant make it to Mercado Bonpland, in Palermo Hollywood, to get that QuiQuiMann, have them go to a health food store and buy you a few different half kilos of organic mate.
I had a bag of a brand with a grasshopper on it that was good, Kraus.
http://www.kraus.com.ar/eng/yerba-mate/
I have also enjoyed La Obrena, which comes in a little burlap sack.
both are available at many dieteticas in BsAs.
If you are restricted to supermarket brands, Liebig, which is the premium brand of the company that makes playadito, is pretty good, and it comes in a cool gold foil bag.
I actually like playdito, as well.
I often buy a few kilos of mixed brands, to try when I am in the USA, and bring them home with me, so I have tried many different brands.

Back