Beware about tax-free refunds at EZE

surfing said:
You get the validation stamp before security and immigration (land side) and the actual refund on the other side of security and immigration (air side) so you have to have a ticket to pass through there.

:eek:
thanks for the information.

Once only back in '07, my husband did the tax refund thing at EZE. They said they'd credit his credit card that refund and gave him copies of their paperwork showing how much and a number to call should he encounter any problem. He found the process a headache and never received the refund. He then 'phoned and wrote letters to get it back. Those weren't answered or he was told something like 'oh well' (!). He's since not bothered with Argentina`s tax refund system.

Also, if you're using your duty-free allowance limit to then enter your own country with goods bought from Argentina or anywhere abroad whose total value exceeds that allowance, and you have on you receipts or tax refund documentation showing an excess, you`ll owe your own country duties and sales taxes on that.

The purpose of tax refunds at international airports is to ensure that you're not paying duties and taxes to 2 countries.

The same principle often (and should) apply when you're ordering from within your own country goods from abroad that haven't been manufactured in your country or in the other country or region with which your country has a free-trade agreement.

Sockhopper said:
Once only back in '07, my husband did the tax refund thing at EZE. They said they'd credit his credit card that refund and gave him copies of their paperwork showing how much and a number to call should he encounter any problem. He found the process a headache and never received the refund. He then 'phoned and wrote letters to get it back. Those weren't answered or he was told something like 'oh well' (!). He's since not bothered with Argentina`s tax refund system.

Also, if you're using your duty-free allowance limit to then enter your own country with goods bought from Argentina or anywhere abroad whose total value exceeds that allowance, and you have on you receipts or tax refund documentation showing an excess, you`ll owe your own country duties and sales taxes on that.

The purpose of tax refunds at international airports is to ensure that you're not paying duties and taxes to 2 countries.

The same principle often (and should) apply when you're ordering from within your own country goods from abroad that haven't been manufactured in your country or in the other country or region with which your country has a free-trade agreement.

I have received my "TAX-FREE" refund at Puerto Madero when heading over to Uruguay, but that was back in '07. AND it wasn't as much as I was led to believe. (Shocking, I know!)

Paid in cash and got a discount when I bought my suede jacket at the end of '07 and flew out of EZE.

I'm not really going to even consider it in the future.

Napoleon said:
Paid in cash and got a discount when I bought my suede jacket at the end of '07 and flew out of EZE.

I'm not really going to even consider it in the future.

Me too. I'm doing at least just as well getting 10-12-15-and sometimes 20% discounts. These savings are in your hand right away. You don't have to spend a minimum amount in one shop. There's no paperwork to complete and present to Argentine Customs.

My mom is in town and wants to do some shopping but I've never done the tax-free thing. What does she need from stores (assuming she's buying Argentine-made goods) to do this? Thanks.

Napoleon said:
The items have to be manufactured in Argentina.

Electronics from China don't count. Knives from Brazil? no.

Mainly leather jackets & shoes and the like from overpriced stores. It's probably a better idea just to pay in US Dollars and negotiate a rate & price that would be better than the TAX FREE and would save the hassle.

Small merchants will take your dollars, but I don't think larger, corporate stores, where these things are centrally managed and dictated, will.

AlexanderB said:
Small merchants will take your dollars, but I don't think larger, corporate stores, where these things are centrally managed and dictated, will.

The employees might.

Back