Beware Robbery Attempts at Galleria Pacifico

i always use my drivers licence as ID for card transactions. Never had a problem in 2 years

jp said:
i always use my drivers licence as ID for card transactions. Never had a problem in 2 years

they didn't accept mine in falabela...

There is actually no law in Argentina that requires that a person has to carry an ID with him/her at all times (only a DL if you drive)

I use my Texas driver's license as ID when paying with a card all the time, including Falabella. There's only one place where I consistently have a problem using my driver's license, and that's in Easy (in Pilar), for some reason. They're very strict about it there.

Katti - I wonder if the problem you had with the driver's license was that it was international? It's not an official form of ID, as I understand it, unlike a driver's license issued by a government entity somewhere.

post_new.gif
Today, 07:11 PM
HenryNisental

Hi HenryNisento - what is your information based on?. Many of the other posts in this forum suggests otherwise

katti said:
You can not pay with credit card without original ID or passport. No copy. (I have tried several times with a copy and I even tried my international drivers licence -no luck)

I use my husbands creditcard a lot but ever since january I get more and more trouble with this (we have different names). They really check the names!

I use my UK credit card, with a photocopy of my passport, it always works.
Only once I had a problem at Coto Abasto, I just used the Gringo card acted dumb (because I was ) they made a fuss got the supervisor, who deciding it was not worth the trouble accepted it any way. I subsequently found I had used an old copy which did not have an up to date stamp on it.

katti said:
You can not pay with credit card without original ID or passport. No copy. (I have tried several times with a copy and I even tried my international drivers licence -no luck)

I use my husbands creditcard a lot but ever since january I get more and more trouble with this (we have different names). They really check the names!

My husband only uses a copy. He never carries his original with him. He's never had a problem. I did have to bring my original when I bought the fridge. Usually I just use my national driver's license (not international DL) which is an original. But then again, I've never spent as much as I did when I bought the fridges.

Like everything down here!!

yes my DL is inernational. I am now trying to use my old belgian ID (which is out of use as don't live there any more, but you can only see that when you read the chip, which obviously they can't), and every time they do that they have to call visa for special permision. Even if I am paying less then 200 pesos in disco. very annoying because it takes them half an hour for that.
Strange that I am the only one with problems. do you guys have visa or other cards? I am told that there is a lot of abuse with visa and that they are really carefull for that reason. My card was abused only in december and I got a new one, maybe my card is now getting special attention? or all the visa cards from my bank??

Easy in Palermo will only accept a credit card with an actual passport if that's your ID of choice.

(Two years ago a photocopy would suffice.)

They may accept other original forms of ID as well.

katti said:
yes my DL is inernational. I am now trying to use my old belgian ID (which is out of use as don't live there any more, but you can only see that when you read the chip, which obviously they can't), and every time they do that they have to call visa for special permision. Even if I am paying less then 200 pesos in disco. very annoying because it takes them half an hour for that.
Strange that I am the only one with problems. do you guys have visa or other cards? I am told that there is a lot of abuse with visa and that they are really carefull for that reason. My card was abused only in december and I got a new one, maybe my card is now getting special attention? or all the visa cards from my bank??

The "international DL" is not really a valid DL as it is only the translation of your DL and must be used with your national DL (ie, you can't drive with only the IDL). I also use a DL from a country that I no longer live in. It is still valid and is accepted everywhere I have ever wanted to pay with a CC/debit.

Mine are all VISA.

Back