Bien de familia

Hi
I bought a house in CABA in 2017. I am foreigner (non-resident) and married to Argentinian wife with two young kids. The house is in my name. A lawyer friend recommended me to put the house as bien de familia. Is there any downside to this?

The only downside I know of is that after listing it as such, it cannot be sold for a number of years. Don't remember how many.

The great advantage is that your house is protected from creditors, lawsuits, and even government expropriation. One "bien de familia" home allowed per person.

Even you do not have debts, you never know. Liability can be born from an accident and, if you die in this accident, they are protected from debtors.

There was recently a case in the media where football player Lavezzi got separated from his model girlfriend after 8 years (infobae). I know, full of clichés… She eventually had to leave his luxury apartment where she lived in after the separation. In a separate process she is claiming 15m USD though…. So it doesnt seem so simple to get compensated “for your services” … @SecretShopper: probably still advisable to put a reminder every two years or so ….

Back