Big rainstorm coming Thursday?

Redpossum

Registered

Of course it's still a day and a half away, and the weather here, (or in any city located on the estuary of a major river), is highly changeable.
But if I am reading this right, they're predicting 44mm of rain on Thursday, which is almost 2 inches.

Now, where did I put my galoshes...

The usual Google Translate deal, banner is in Castellano and story will initially appear in that tongue, but wait a few seconds and it will change to English.

Last edited:
My phone denies any chance of rain until tomorrow evening, but Wunderground is fairly adamant: https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/ar/buenos-aires/IBUENO11
Hey, Frank, thanks for the link. That's a pretty cool site!
It's surprising to see everything in the old imperial measurements. It feels good, I admit, but just a bit odd.
The two things I still have to convert in order to understand are a person's height and barometric pressure. Inches of mercury I can relate to; that Hg/cm thing, uhh, wtf?

There is definitely some heavy weather rolling in, because one of the two airports, probably Newberry, has diverted their approach path over my house. That only happens when visibility is Delta Sierra.

For the record, I live downtown, just a few blocks from the Obelisco.

While we're on the subject of airports and dodgy approaches, and I'm feeling strangely chatty for some reason, have any of you ever flown into Kai Tak, the old airport in HK, closed since 25 years ago?

Hey, Frank, thanks for the link. That's a pretty cool site!
It's surprising to see everything in the old imperial measurements. It feels good, I admit, but just a bit odd.
The two things I still have to convert in order to understand are a person's height and barometric pressure. Inches of mercury I can relate to; that Hg/cm thing, uhh, wtf?
You're welcome! The page seems to default to imperial, personally it drives me nuts to see things expressed in stones and furlongs, and I especially hate to see Fahrenheit. Fortunately there's a settings icon at the top right of the page where you can select civilized units.

View attachment 8940

When it comes to the weather in Argentina, popular weather apps are notoriously unreliable.
I simply keep a shortcut to the SMN for updates.
Thanks for that link, I'll keep it close. My iPhone app is very unreliable, but since 6 months ago it now comes with a weather RADAR animation, which is very nice. Right now it shows something heavy is happening in the sea off the Rio de la Plata estuary, and it looks like that's what's going to hit us here in CABA.

You're welcome! The page seems to default to imperial, personally it drives me nuts to see things expressed in stones and furlongs, and I especially hate to see Fahrenheit. Fortunately there's a settings icon at the top right of the page where you can select civilized units.

Thanks for that link, I'll keep it close. My iPhone app is very unreliable, but since 6 months ago it now comes with a weather RADAR animation, which is very nice. Right now it shows something heavy is happening in the sea off the Rio de la Plata estuary, and it looks like that's what's going to hit us here in CABA.

It's the aliens. Like in Pacific Rim, but wrong ocean. And they chose Buenos Aires as in Starship Troopers (the book, not that shitty movie version, damn you Verhoeven).

Holy crap, it's dark outside. This looks like a real storm after all.

**edit**

Looking at the weather radar, it seems that the worst of it has bypassed us to the north, and people in central Uruguay will be torn between being glad the drought has ended and wondering how much is a cubit.

Holy crap, it's dark outside. This looks like a real storm after all.

**edit**

Looking at the weather radar, it seems that the worst of it has bypassed us to the north, and people in central Uruguay will be torn between being glad the drought has ended and wondering how much is a cubit.
Pisses me off when the big ones miss us.

Back