Bikes And Blades Rights And Responsibilities In The Road

GS_Dirtboy

Registered
I had an altercation with a taxi driver today in Puerto Madero. Was on my blades on the right-hand side of the lane when I felt a car coming up behind me. 25 years of road biking helps one develops a sense for these things. Glanced over my shoulder to see a taxi blow past by my left arm with at least 2 inches to spare. I swung my arm back and connected cleanly with his mirror.

Gordo stopped at the next intersection and waited for me so I started unbuckling my blades. If you don't already know it you'll look pretty stupid trying to fight on roller blades. He started yelling at me for hitting his car. I replied that as a professional driver he should know the rules of the road. This went on for the mandatory 2 minutes and ended with the required, "I'm gonna kick your a$$. No, I'm gonna kick YOUR a$$!" as we were backing away from each other. (guys have rules for these kind of engagements)

It later occurred to me that I actually don't know the code here. I was assuming I had the right to the lane but I might very well be wrong.

Who knows the official road rules as it pertains to bikes and blades? I know these are never enforced and not one single driver has a clue. Just interested in the laws on the books.

Thanks in advance.

GS

The ley here is that roads are for anything motorised,tracción a sangre being the keyword,meaning any means of propulsion n.ot motorised.So technically even a bike is reduced to use of the pavement but historically it was a means of transport for the poor, so it is being tolerated. This is my understanding.Anyone know different?

Don't know the official rules but if you want to stay alive I would go by the "more to lose" rule. More to lose would be you on blades against a taxi.

GS_Dirtboy,

I am glad to hear you are well. I believe you have an issue with Taxi mirrors. Seem to remember you telling of removing one once with your booted foot. I too could not even begin to tell you the official rules , but have asked my wife several times to give cyclist more room. Honestly believe it is education and common sense that is somewhat lacking . I have been nearly hit on my bicycle. Really is scary. Thanks for not being bullied and standing up for your opinion.

I used to think it was bad riding my motorbike but on a bicycle one is even more invisible.
I would imagine that on roller blades one feels even more exposed and sorry but I haven't got a clue about the rules and regs as if car drivers give a damn about those anyway.
Propelling oneself on two wheels or anything involving one's own physical power in this country is akin to painting a huge red and white target on your back.
Moths to a candle.

Blades? We don't need no stickin' blades!

Blades in Argentina belong to certain parks and not the road. Don't think they're officially recognized as transport means, only recreational toys. Blades don't make you a vehicle, just a soft target.

His bad from not keepng a safe distance while coming from behind you.

GS_Dirtboy I have read some really good posts from you that are filled with common sense....and then you go ahead and make a thread about "rights" and "responsibilities" when talking about Buenos Aires roads...tsk tsk tsk.

To answer the question, it seems there's no law regulating the use of rollers (link 1). Some cities started regulating its use, but it seems Buenos Aires doesn't have any "ordenanza" yet (link 2).

Now, if a rollerskater was to have an accident, I guess the judges would consider him/her the same as a cyclist (which is is considered as a pedestrian to some extent), taking into account the risks taken, having or not an helmet & such.

Since it's not forbidden, and to follow the "rules" (theoratical approach that is...), a rollerskater would need to be on the middle of a lane, not on the right of it, for the pleasure of car drivers behind...

Then remains the law of the street: the chubby 5" ft taxi driver listens when the +6" ft healthier rollerskater talks (once he has taken off his blades, lol)...

link 1 http://www.clarin.com/sociedad/Peligro-ruedas_0_824917687.html
link 2 http://www.buenosaires.gob.ar/areas/leg_tecnica/sin/?menu_id=672#resultados

Excellent. Thanks for the links. It seems that bikes are not a recognized vehicle so blades would typically be lower on the list. We need to start a bike and blade coalition.

Best,

GS

Back