bikes in BA

zebrafish

Registered
I'm moving from Boston to BA in early January. I'm considering packaging up a bike and bringing it over, but was wondering if people know of good bicycle shops and how much it would cost to get a functional used bike.

Thanks for your insight!

Lots of bikeshops around. Depending on what you're looking for you can pay 300-500 pesos for a gearless "playero" bike (BA is not hilly at all so you don't really need gears for in-city riding) or you can pay 1200-1300 and up for nicer bikes (both new and used) with Shimano gears. I am on my 5th bike here in as many years, but can't live without my bike. My advice would be to buy a bike here, but bring a kryptonite bad-ass u-lock with you when you come. Also bring a light, etc.

You'll probably die if you bring a bike, so I would reconsider if I were you.

Napoleon said:
You'll probably die if you bring a bike, so I would reconsider if I were you.
I may have been drinking tonight, so you might want to ignore me over the next 14 hours.

:p

That's quite alright. Thanks for the input anyhow - I've been forewarned about BA traffic. I do have experience biking in big cities, Mexico City for one, but I expect this to be on a new level.

Thank you for response MizzMarr.... I will purchase a "playero" bike once I get there. I'll bring a lock along and some LED lights.

You will love it. Honestly, I can separate my life here into two parts: Before and After bike :) There are SO many good things about having a bike in this city. Just be forewarned that you shouldn't really leave your bike locked up outside after dark for long (more than an hour or two). If you're going to a friend's house, etc., try to bring it inside. It's better to cart it up a few flights of stairs than have to buy a new one.

Bike for sale! $400. Near alto Palermo.
Leaving BA Wednesday nov 25 so must sell Tuesday!
Great single speed cruiser bike with coaster brake. Adjustable seat- fits both me (5'3") and my partner (5'10"). New Bell helmet and lock included.
I've loved exploring the city by bike!
[email protected]

Hi, zebra! Glad to see you are from my beloved Boston, where I spent four amazing college years. Just like you, I moved in January (fifteen years ago next January) and was thinking about getting a bike and ride around town (something I finally didn't do and truly regret now).

I don't think you should bother bringing your bike. You can get a good one here cheap. If you plan to use it in town only (no mountain trips), a US$300 mountain bike will do the job perfectly well. IMHO, playera bikes are not good for Buenos Aires. In fact, I think they are dangerous. Hard to maneuver in heavy traffic and they come with coaster brakes, which I find tricky and unreliable for big city riding.

The only thing I'd bring if I were you is a good helmet (assuming you have one). Of course you can get one here too, but as a biker I know that certain equipment is very personal and if you already have a helmet you trust, bring it with you. It want take much space in your luggage anyway.

Any questions about town, traffic, safety, where to go and especially where NOT to go, just PM me. I'd love to join you in your rides, but I sold my last bike some time ago and I'm not planning to get a new one for the time being (I didn't sell my Cratoni helmet, though, and I never will), but I'd be more than glad to assist you in any way possible so don't doubt contacting me.

Back