Biking in Buenos Aires?

As to bringing your bike--leave it at home! Any bike that is halfway decent here is a target for robberies. I am on my fifth bike here, only one of those was not stolen (I traded up).

How did you get your bike stolen? While it was parked or while riding it? Curious to know.

Each of my four bikes that were stolen were stolen while "parked" on the street and chained up. The bike thieves find crafty ways too break locks. My bikes have been stolen in the evening time, but I have had friends get theirs stolen in broad daylight, too. I have heard that people may try to jack your bike while you're riding it, but I haven't known anybody that's happened to. The most is a threat of getting something yoinked from your basket, but for the most part I think if you keep moving, and keep whatever is in tow "tied" down, it'll be ok.

The last bike I had stolen was locked up to the fence of the Konex (a music/events venue in Abasto--a bit of a dodgy neighborhood, but not the worst either). The poles were big thick steel poles, there is a ton of outdoor lighting, people, and even security guards there. The thieves actually broke the POLE that my bike was attached to, then slipped the bike off from where the pole was broken at the weld seam. I found the u-lock twisted and broken open a bit down the street. It was a pretty dang nice bike that I loved, too (A vairo metro), so I was crushed. The security guard just snickered, so maybe he was in on it. Hijo de puta.

Anyway, now, if possible, I bring my bike inside with me if I'm going somewhere at night. Even if that means carrying it up four flights of stairs. Even after all the thefts, I continue to ride (and buy, ha) bike here.

a solution that limits a bit the possibility of a steal : paint your bike in a very original way (gold, pink, whatever).

French jurist said:
a solution that limits a bit the possibility of a steal : paint your bike in a very original way (gold, pink, whatever).

Sorry, but how does that help? It's my understanding that the bikes get repainted and resold. I think that's what happens with moto's, too. The best suggestion that I know of (my guy did it and has only had one bike here) is to beat the crap out of your bike, scrape it up, keep it dirty, make it ugly. That way even if it's a nice bike it'll look like a beater and nobody will want it. Cambios (gears), on the other hand, are hard to disguise if they're nice.

By any chance, is it possible (or sane) to do cycling road work there? I usually ride 30 miles every morning here in Florida, from 3:00am till 4:30am (no traffic). I figured I would have to give it up when I move there. Would a crowd be hunting me down for my $4,000 USD bike? I'm fast but don't bounce well if knocked off.

MizzMarr said:
Sorry, but how does that help? It's my understanding that the bikes get repainted and resold. I think that's what happens with moto's, too. The best suggestion that I know of (my guy did it and has only had one bike here) is to beat the crap out of your bike, scrape it up, keep it dirty, make it ugly. That way even if it's a nice bike it'll look like a beater and nobody will want it. Cambios (gears), on the other hand, are hard to disguise if they're nice.

Indeed, what you say would be even more effective, repainting them in a flashy way is a bit the same idea although not as effective.

Utopos said:
By any chance, is it possible (or sane) to do cycling road work there? I usually ride 30 miles every morning here in Florida, from 3:00am till 4:30am (no traffic). I figured I would have to give it up when I move there. Would a crowd be hunting me down for my $4,000 USD bike? I'm fast but don't bounce well if knocked off.

You would have to do it on avenues like Libertador I guess (better pavement and so on..) and around 3/4 am some people drive like nuts on this avenue (like sometimes around 70/90 mph), and the ones driving that fast will likely be drunk... Hence a danger.

As for stealing your bike by grabbing it it could happen although you could spend a year without it happening, matter of luck.

I take the northern highway quite often (acceso norte) and I see groups of cyclists (speeding ones, on fancy bikes) sometimes driving on the right lane. I think it's a bit wild though but they are somehow accepted (don't know if it's legal btw)

Libertador is dangerous at three in the morning - there are drunk drivers going home from bars and parties, and there are drag-racing teenagers. Quite a few people have been killed by them.

The Panamericana, or Acceso Norte, on the other hand, is pretty quiet at that time. The Tigre branch has a park along one side.

French jurist said:
I take the northern highway quite often (acceso norte) and I see groups of cyclists (speeding ones, on fancy bikes) sometimes driving on the right lane. I think it's a bit wild though but they are somehow accepted (don't know if it's legal btw)

Don't think it's legal, but it's how the national team practices, it's the only way for them to get decent paved open spaces. I vaguely remember a news story about these guys awhile ago, they've had some accidents as well with cars on the roads. I think they also use the road Canuelas - La Plata -- what is that, the 16? I can't remember...

3am cycling not a good idea in BA. There's already quite a few security issues here, riding around on a flashy bike on your own in the early hours of the morning is probably not a great idea. You'd be better off joining a team and riding with them.

It is illegal to be on most of the highways. I have been told that I have to take the next exit when stopped by traffic police - perhaps more for my safety than for the motorists!!

There is a Critical Mass in Buenos Aires once a month. Anyone know the day and time? They usually meet at the Obelisk.

Back