Blacklist For All Undeclared Mobile Phones

This system is in effect in Chile since September 2017,

Older phones no problem, new phones must be registered ....! if purchased in Chile or abroad. To register the mobile one must provide copy of Purchase Invoice....! among other things. Can register one mobile per year..! :eek:

Where is my Purchase invoice from 5 years ago?? :eek: bought from a friend in cash...!

Cann`t insert a local SIM from local providers..! I use a mobile with my Movistar Sim from Argentina on Roaming. For local service have ANOTHER older phone purchased in Chile with a local SIM...!! :eek:

The difference being, of course, that in Chile there is precious little economic incentive to not do everything by the book.

You can bring whatever you want, so long as you declare it, and pay reasonable duties.

Stuff is available in stores at prices not that far removed from normal Western prices. You go to Lider/Walmart/Costanera Center/Portal La Dehesa and buy everything you need. Never mind the prices: there simply is good stuff to buy. And yes, at fairly normal prices - normal enough to remove the temptation of bringing the whole world from Miami.

Capital in Chile flows freely. Here, it flows pretty freely too - but under the table, in cash.

The 1.2% impuesto al cheque is my particular pet peeve, it is a huge tell regarding the country's mentality, on so many levels. Who on earth taxes money simply for moving? You tax people buying and selling goods and services, OK - but simply for moving money? The only explanation is that they can't successfully tax the economy like normal societies do, because of the massive amounts of fraud here. So at some point they decided simply to treat everyone as tax evaders and grab what they can. That that moves the economy further underground - obviously people will do cash wherever possible, simply to avoid this extra thievery - does not matter. That it furthers crime, does not matter. All for the short-term grab.

Back