Blackberry I bought put on "Stolen" blacklist

LaurenW

Registered
Hey amigos,

You may have heard of my roommate that kicked me out early after I paid an entire month's rent and kept my deposit. The saga continues..

I also had my phone plan under her so I could have unlimited data, and she reported my phone as stolen and now it is completely blocked. I cannot make calls or texts on any network (have tried other SIM cards). Basically, it is blacklisted and I need to unblock it. Going to Claro, the original network, isn't really an option because I bought the phone a month ago on Mercado Libre and have no proof of purchase.

Does anyone know how to help me with this or knows someone who can (will pay)? PM me. Remember unlock and unblock are different things, my phone is already unlocked...

such bad luck with this roommate :(

Was it new on mercadolibre? The receipt from mercadolibre should be enough .

LaurenW said:
Does anyone know how to help me with this or knows someone who can (will pay)? PM me. Remember unlock and unblock are different things, my phone is already unlocked...

such bad luck with this roommate :(

You might try going to the shops that sell used phones. I know that there are a lot in Once, I am sure that some of them are stolen. You can tell them your situation and ask if they have a solution. There are literally 100's in the city and I am sure that someone will be able to help you. I am sure that it is a common problem that has a resolution because if there was no resolution to this you would not find people having their cell phones stolen so often in the city.

The behaviour of your ex-roommate gets more extraordinary and this latest development is too much. Earlier I was going for either cynically criminal or having mental health problems (or to use the technical term, she is batshit crazy:eek:).

This latest twist with the Blackberry doesn't read cynical criminal to me but it has the characteristics of insane jealousy. If you or she or both of you are, shall we say, batting for the other team, perhaps she expected your relationship to be more than just roommates and is furiously angry and jealous and hurt because it's not.

So there we have it: batshit crazy or insanely jealous? Which ever way you look at it, madness beckons. Is she an ex-pat or a native? Does she have a support network? You've kept your cool remarkably well through all this and I don't suppose I'm the only one admiring you for that but it sounds as if she needs all the help she can get.

elhombresinnombre said:
You've kept your cool remarkably well through all this and I don't suppose I'm the only one admiring you for that but it sounds as if she needs all the help she can get.

Isn't ironic that your former flatmate is the one that expected you to take cold showers?:D

Did she go bonkers when she realized you figured out how to light the water heater or was it something even more irrational?:eek:

(You don't have to answer.);)

Once is the place to be

Argentines could go really batshit crazy and are often a bunch of idiots. Namely Portenos. Never saw such a huge amount of psychos anywhere else

Sounds like I will be heading to Once tomorrow!

She definitely is not 'batting for the other team' haha. I think she just enjoys wrecking other people's lives . . . she is an Argentine citizen but from ecuador. She won't be subletting the place again or I'd give more info to warn expats!

If anyone has an experience like mine with the phone, PM me. I feel kind of iffy giving my blackberry to some random Once used phone store. I'm sure some expat has bought a stolen phone by accident at some point and had the same problem..
thanks all!

My mother-in-law has a cell phone store and can help you. I can't tell you what will need to be done because I don't know anything about it, but she is trustworthy and reliable. The store is at Moreno 1878 near Combate de los Pozos in the Congreso neighboorhood, or call 4382-7161. They don't speak any english though.

Damn girl, I thought I'd suffered through some weirdo roommates here but yours really takes the cake. Best of luck with the phone. I'm tempted to start a new thread where we can all share crazy roommate stories...

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Expat Life 3
D Expat Life 4
Y Expat Life 2
G Expat Life 6
M Expat Life 2
Back