Blob of mayonnaise

Back in the days when I was a kid growing up in New York, and people started eating more and more salads, "Russian Dressing" was very popular. My grandpa was from Russia and I remember a neighbor named Sally Goldstein said to him "You must have a great recipie for Russian Dressing". He of course had no idea what Russian Dressing was. So we looked it up in a cookbook and found out the horrible truth. It's a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise with chopped pickle relish mixed in (i am barfing right now). The next time he saw Sally he told her in Russia there was no ketchup (he left Russia after WWII) and no mayonnaise. She was devastated, her response was "oh my gawd, everything is such a sham these days".

fifs2 said:
The Rosario version of the toasted sandwich is loaded with mayo and the true "Carlitos" is ham ,cheese and ketchup..both are delicious...never knock it till you try it!
The real Carlitos has no ketchup, but sliced natural tomatoes...

Davidglen77 said:
Back in the days when I was a kid growing up in New York, and people started eating more and more salads, "Russian Dressing" was very popular. My grandpa was from Russia and I remember a neighbor named Sally Goldstein said to him "You must have a great recipie for Russian Dressing". He of course had no idea what Russian Dressing was. So we looked it up in a cookbook and found out the horrible truth. It's a mixture of ketchup and mayonnaise with chopped pickle relish mixed in (i am barfing right now). The next time he saw Sally he told her in Russia there was no ketchup (he left Russia after WWII) and no mayonnaise. She was devastated, her response was "oh my gawd, everything is such a sham these days".
Btw, ketchup+mayo= salsa golf ( used in Argentina traditionally with hearts of palm or in miga sandwiches with hearts of palm )

Davidglen77 said:

Sauce cocktail and French dressing are also ketchup & mayo mixed together. Someone told me today that ensalada rusa is called ensalad frances in Russia (I would imagine they use the Russian words! ;))

ETA: As Nikad says here "sauce cocktail" is called golf. Ketchup + mayo!

mini said:
Sauce cocktail and French dressing are also ketchup & mayo mixed together. Someone told me today that ensalada rusa is called ensalad frances in Russia (I would imagine they use the Russian words! ;))

ETA: As Nikad says here "sauce cocktail" is called golf. Ketchup + mayo!
Yeah, that golf sauce was widely used in the classic " Cocktail de Camarones " ( shrimp cocktail ) a high end appetizer from the 70s. Some people like it on their hot dogs.

Ok now.......cocktail sauce for dipping shrimp is a mixture of 3 simple ingredients:
1) Ketchup
2) Horseradish
3) Black pepper
Nothing to do with salsa golf which is GROSSER THAN GROSS in my opinion (I always include that disclaimer so I don't get accused of generalizing if someone decides to sue me)

Davidglen77 said:
Ok now.......cocktail sauce for dipping shrimp is a mixture of 3 simple ingredients:
1) Ketchup
2) Horseradish
3) Black pepper
Nothing to do with salsa golf which is GROSSER THAN GROSS in my opinion (I always include that disclaimer so I don't get accused of generalizing if someone decides to sue me)

That's not the same as "sauce cocktail" which is as I said "salsa golf", ie. ketchup & mayo.
What you are talking about American "cocktail sauce".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Expat Life 9
Back