Blue @ 1,000: anyone lived through 84/89 or 2001 have any advice?

Quilombo

Registered
As the title says, this morning the Blue hit 1,000 buy 1,020 sell, and the government unified the dólar tarjeta/ahorro/Qatar.

My assumption was the hyper wasn't coming until the 23rd when it was clear Milei won and the peso was going to die a death of a thousand cuts, but given Milei's advice to people yesterday not to renew plaza fijos he's helping to speed this up.

We have a bunch of things we had been waiting to buy I'm going to buy in cuotas now, interest or interest free, and the 30% (and rising) arbitrage on purchases abroad means Amazon is getting some of my money, plus we're going to stock up on imports (a ton of things Farmacity sells are all from Brazil) and non perishables. Anything I'm missing/you guys recommend?

Buckle up, the fun is about to begin it seems 😵‍💫

As the title says, this morning the Blue hit 1,000 buy 1,020 sell, and the government unified the dólar tarjeta/ahorro/Qatar.

My assumption was the hyper wasn't coming until the 23rd when it was clear Milei won and the peso was going to die a death of a thousand cuts, but given Milei's advice to people yesterday not to renew plaza fijos he's helping to speed this up.

We have a bunch of things we had been waiting to buy I'm going to buy in cuotas now, interest or interest free, and the 30% (and rising) arbitrage on purchases abroad means Amazon is getting some of my money, plus we're going to stock up on imports (a ton of things Farmacity sells are all from Brazil) and non perishables. Anything I'm missing/you guys recommend?

Buckle up, the fun is about to begin it seems 😵‍💫
Sorry but what kinds of things would you stock up on?

What is the guess for the blue rate after the elections 1200 ???

As previously mentioned every time there's a crisis of this nature, just keep your benjamins , as far as pharmacy needs, i found out that most meds are cheaper here than anywhere in the US unless we are talking vitamins or some sort of special diet items .
Not a bad idea to stock up on non perishable items although they might become cheaper as devaluation continues, however , there's also the possibility of shortages when the crisis is severe.
I can't express an opinion on buying in installments( cuotas) as i'm a cash and carry type of guy after negotiating a good price( i have never paid the tag price when purchasing in cash)
Things to expect as far as i've seen are, credit cards use could be suspended same as atm , bank closures for a day or two to cool down people running to get their money, price sky rocketing and a lost of any parameters to compare, in some cases as banks might shut down, some merchants will either shut down too or hide merchandise in the back room waiting for the new prices, also possible power grid problems same with water supply.
Possible riots and looting as seen before , if you own a vehicle you might wanna keep the tank topped off
I don't want this to be interpreted as fear mongering , just these are the few things i've seen so far including army tanks on the streets, but that was a different era, i don't think we'll see that.

Sorry but what kinds of things would you stock up on?
I'm thinking of stuff that there could be shortages of, i.e. the antiperspirant and shampoos my husband and I use are imported from Brazil, and if I was a buyer for the Argentine division of these companies I'd say "Hey, let's wait until the run off and see how bad things get before ordering more". Other stuff like water/shelf stable juice/drinks not because I think the prices will skyrocket to unaffordable levels here if you have dollars, but rather, again, shortages. You can make all the drinks/canned goods/packed goods you want, but if you can't get the plastic/cans to package it or your employees salaries go from $200/month to $100 and they stop coming to work, well, doesn't do much good.
Yes Milei is to blame lmao
Milei isn't responsible for the fundamental financial incompetence of Massa/the Ks, but the very likely future president saying "Hey, don't renew your plaza fijos, there won't be a peso" does contribute to upwards pressure on the dollar.

Who knows? It could be 1200 by the end of the day or week.
1020/1030 buy/sell already since posting, like you said, who knows? That's already a 3% difference in a couple hours, and there's 5 market days until the election which would be 15% or 150 pesos, but who says folks won't be hedging come next Friday?

As previously mentioned every time there's a crisis of this nature, just keep your benjamins , as far as pharmacy needs, i found out that most meds are cheaper here than anywhere in the US unless we are talking vitamins or some sort of special diet items .
Not a bad idea to stock up on non perishable items although they might become cheaper as devaluation continues, however , there's also the possibility of shortages when the crisis is severe.
I can't express an opinion on buying in installments( cuotas) as i'm a cash and carry type of guy after negotiating a good price( i have never paid the tag price when purchasing in cash)
Things to expect as far as i've seen are, credit cards use could be suspended same as atm , bank closures for a day or two to cool down people running to get their money, price sky rocketing and a lost of any parameters to compare, in some cases as banks might shut down, some merchants will either shut down too or hide merchandise in the back room waiting for the new prices, also possible power grid problems same with water supply.
Possible riots and looting as seen before , if you own a vehicle you might wanna keep the tank topped off
I don't want this to be interpreted as fear mongering , just these are the few things i've seen so far including army tanks on the streets, but that was a different era, i don't think we'll see that.
I don't think this is fear mongering, it's based in the country's history, and while I agree that it's different now, it's still always a possibility (the rioting/social unease, especially once a K isn't president) the shortages/delays/bank holidays/etc. I think are very likely, especially the Monday after, along with another devaluation or say increasing the ganacias on the dólar tarjeta/ahorro/qatar to 200% to prevent even further bleeding.

Back