Blue Rate has now hit 100 per dollar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Obviously the blue rate is meaningless when no one can buy nor sell. This is nothing but speculation on the part of news outlets trying to get hits. The rate will be known once cuevas open and can run for more than a few days at a time.

Your arguments are based on the value of the USA dollar . Whar would happen if the usa currency suffers a massive devaluation and hyperinflation then 98 percent of people will be in the same boat .
You may be rooting for that to happen, but it won't happen. NOT BECAUSE it can't happen, but simply because it will not.

At some future point in time ... long after we have all died, The US will probably lose it's influence in the world and it will be some one else's turn.

The US is the world leader in all things technological and economic for as far as I can see going forward.

That would mean that people would have to shift their store of value and medium of exchange to other currencies. I don't foresee people bartering loaves of bread for oysters, outside of Ries's town in Washington State. If people lose confidence in the dollar which currencies are a viable alternative?
ANSWER = NONE!

The USD is the current standard. There is no parallel replacement.

This is not an unlikely scenario. The US will likely have to inflate the dollar just to keep up with the interest on the national debt. It is possible that the dollar and peso will be in a race to the bottom.
The US Dollar befuddled everyone since the financial crisis back in 2008. Massive amounts of money went to work and inflation was benign.

LOOK FOR IT AGAIN.

The current foreign exchange situation is an anomaly. There are a few factors driving these extreme results. First, Argentina has insufficient foreign exchange reserves to defend the peso. The currency is essentially defenseless. Second, lack of liquidity in any market always results in wider spreads and higher volatility. Plus, a 5 peso move in the exchange rate is not what it was when the peso was at 40.

I have difficulty envisioning an inflationary scenario in the United States. Prices for almost everything, especially petroleum based, have crashed. Prices for oil will likely stay low for a few years. The American economy is becoming more efficient. More people are working at home, more people are telecommuting, more online sales, greater investment in robotics and automation. All of this will allow the American economy to emerge stronger.

The massive increase in US government debt is worrisome. Economic expectations and ratios will have to change, because this will occur the world over. At 0% interest rates, the burden is far easier in the short and intermediate term. It will be up to future governments to raise taxes, reduce spending, stoke inflation, or sell assets in order to reduce this debt. The growth in debt is so explosive that the US economy will not be able to right size itself into this debt balance for many years. So proactive choices will have to come. As I said, this will be true the world over.

Argentina will print pesos and ask international organizations for money. It is difficult to foresee how this will play out. Dozens of other countries will be in the same situation, asking international organizations for money. Argentina is accustomed to inflation. But Argentina needs dollars to support the energy grid, support the airline, and engage in international trade. My hope is that Argentina does not turn to China, the world's mafia loan shark. China has done enough for one century to this world.

The current foreign exchange situation is an anomaly. There are a few factors driving these extreme results. First, Argentina has insufficient foreign exchange reserves to defend the peso. The currency is essentially defenseless. Second, lack of liquidity in any market always results in wider spreads and higher volatility. Plus, a 5 peso move in the exchange rate is not what it was when the peso was at 40.

I have difficulty envisioning an inflationary scenario in the United States. Prices for almost everything, especially petroleum based, have crashed. Prices for oil will likely stay low for a few years. The American economy is becoming more efficient. More people are working at home, more people are telecommuting, more online sales, greater investment in robotics and automation. All of this will allow the American economy to emerge stronger.

The massive increase in US government debt is worrisome. Economic expectations and ratios will have to change, because this will occur the world over. At 0% interest rates, the burden is far easier in the short and intermediate term. It will be up to future governments to raise taxes, reduce spending, stoke inflation, or sell assets in order to reduce this debt. The growth in debt is so explosive that the US economy will not be able to right size itself into this debt balance for many years. So proactive choices will have to come. As I said, this will be true the world over.

Argentina will print pesos and ask international organizations for money. It is difficult to foresee how this will play out. Dozens of other countries will be in the same situation, asking international organizations for money. Argentina is accustomed to inflation. But Argentina needs dollars to support the energy grid, support the airline, and engage in international trade. My hope is that Argentina does not turn to China, the world's mafia loan shark. China has done enough for one century to this world.
China is EVIL & LETHAL all in one.

They have bad motives and are in a competition for world dominance. But ask yourself this? Would you rather live in a US dominated world or a CHINESE one? Most would select the former. It offers a better quality of life and opportunity for more people around the world. And it is probably safer as well. BUT - IT WILL NEVER BE PERFECT. So don't expect that.

I don't think so.

1. Reducing spending is not possible. 62% of US Government spending is mandated and growing rapidly ie: Social Security. 8% is Interest which must grow, not shrink.
1587071256697.png

2. Taxes cannot be raised enough to matter. In 2019 Washington took $3.46trillion out of a $20Trillion GDP and still had a $trillion deficit. A 33% increase in revenue would only eliminate the deficit.

3. The attitude of the American people is moving towards spending alot more, not less ie: Free healthcare, free college, give everyone $1.000/month, etc.

4. Selling assets? Yellowstone park? The Lincoln Memorial? How about selling Capitol Hill? Even better sell Washingto, D.C. to Disney and let them turn it into a theme park.

5. That leaves inflation as the only way to address the debt. Following in the footsteps of Venezuela, Argentina and the Weimar Republic.

Everybody knew that one day a virus would get on a plane in China and get off in New York or MIlan. But no governments were motivated by the voters to make preparations. The result, we have lockdowns, respirators, unemployment, bankruptcies, deaths. And me cancelling two great upcoming vacations and likely spending my 79th year on Earth locked inside with only my dog and you expats to talk with.

Everybody knows that the US is fiscally irresponsible. How can the result not be another catastrophe?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back