Blue Rate, What To Do As A Canadian Solo Female...

canadiangirl

Registered
Hi there,

I'm travelling to BA this week (solo female) staying for a month. I've rented a place on AirBnB and so I don't have a hotel/hostel to consult about this. Trying to wrap my head around the blue rate and what makes most sense in terms of currency. Should I bring cash in Argentine pesos, or am I better to swap my Canadian dollars to USD and bring US cash in?

Will I really waste a lot of money relying on a Canadian credit card and withdrawing pesos from ATMs? I've been digging around, just trying to get a handle on what the best approach is.

Lastly, is it dangerous to be changing money with the guys shouting 'cambio!' on the street as a solo female? That sounds a little dodgy to me.

Thanks!

US Cash ONLY!!

US$100s (& US$50s) are MUCH better than US$20s and smaller.

Bringing Argie pesos is about the dumbest thing you can do.

(Blunt but true.)

ONLY USD 50s and 100s in good condition bad condition bills and lower denominations get you a much lower rate of exchange
when you get here youll get a feel as to where to exchange
check ambito daily to find out up to the minute blue rates
enjoy it

If you have an iPhone (or presumably an Android as well), there is a free Dolar-Blue app.

There's a arbolito in Galerie Boston mentioned several times on this forum. So you can even get the Blue in very public place.

Lastly, is it dangerous to be changing money with the guys shouting 'cambio!' on the street as a solo female? That sounds a little dodgy to me.

Thanks!

This is the REAL BANKING SYSTEM we've got here.
Arbolito's word is as good as a Banker's.

ONLY crisp $100 US .

P.S. Banks are totally useless for both Tourists and Locals.
You don't want to touch them with a 10 foot pole.

Bring 100USD dollar bills if possible.
Go to Galería Boston (Florida 134, BS AS)
Very reliable and safe place

Newer bills will also make your life easier too. I've never had an Pre 1990 bill rejected but when ever I present one the examination process is a whole lot more involved and involves calling friends over to look at it and generally a whole lot more commotion than one usually wants in such a situation.

I just got cash to bring when I come, its the new 100s, the ones with a line down the middle - hope those are ok.

Back