Bolivia Tourist Visa From Ba

Passport. Had to fill out a form on the spot. Everyone said I needed a yellow fever vaccine (I spent $110 USD getting this in the states before the trip) and had to bring the little immunization booklet that they gave you. Too bad nobody ever even mentioned it and it absolutely wasn't necessary. the reason why they 'require' it is because you may have been traveling through the Peruvian Amazon beforehand and they don't want you to contract it and bring it with you into Bolivia, but I'd be surprised if anyone has been asked to see the paperwork. Still, if you can get it for cheap, do it just to cover your bases. But note that it hurts like a b----

Passport. Had to fill out a form on the spot. Everyone said I needed a yellow fever vaccine (I spent $110 USD getting this in the states before the trip) and had to bring the little immunization booklet that they gave you. Too bad nobody ever even mentioned it and it absolutely wasn't necessary. the reason why they 'require' it is because you may have been traveling through the Peruvian Amazon beforehand and they don't want you to contract it and bring it with you into Bolivia, but I'd be surprised if anyone has been asked to see the paperwork. Still, if you can get it for cheap, do it just to cover your bases. But note that it hurts like a b----

Ok no hotel booking, medical insurance etc.

Yellow fever vaccine proof is normally asked when you are returning from yellow fever country to a non yellow fever country as per WHO guideline.

Now I'm freaking out a little about this visa thing. I'm an American with permanent residency in Argentina. When I went to Chile two years ago by plane, all I had to do was show my DNI and I didn't have to pay for the visa that Americans have to pay. Although for Brazil they were stricter and I did need to apply for a visa in the consulate here in BsAs.
I'm planning a trip by bus from the north of Argentina to cross through Bolivia and then out the other side to Peru. Those of you who had to pay, be it at the consulate or the border, did you also have a DNI? I was hoping to sneak over through mercosur. I really don't want to pay $XXX to visit a country that I will only stay a week in so that I can cross to the next country.

In mid-July we flew to Bolivia (final: La Paz / customs: Santa Cruz).
We bought our visa right there in Santa Cruz. There is a little window they'll send you to when you are doing passport control.
It is $150 USD, and the documents we had on us were sufficient.
This is totally reciprocal and nothing else. You just fill out a form they barely even read and pay (most important part).
The visa is good for 10 years.
Unfortunately, for so far as passing through with your DNI I have a feeling it will just depend which customs agent you get the day you arrive. Things will most likely be based more on his mood than any kind of regulation. But, it be prepared to pay the $150 just in case. Oh, and try not to dress too American though they can usually spot a gringo at 100 paces. Good luck!

If you are a USA citizen you can obtain a visa upon arrival in Bolivia. If you are from other countries you might need to apply in advance as a friend of mine had to do when we were in Colombia. Also he had to receive a yellow fever injection whereas I did not as they do not give them to anyone over the age of 65. When I arrived in Bolivia there was no mention of that injection. With my friend they also did not ask for it yet when flying from the Colombian airport they insisted the need for it and would not allow us to fly without the injection. Seems rules are applied in all sorts of ways - one wonders what is the real truth. Walter

Back