BOMB EXPLODES AT MOSCOW'S MAIN AIRPORT - Many Dead

Moonwitch said:
I don't think this attack can be classified as the same as those Bin Laden and Jihad ones. At least the terrorists (has it been claimed by Chechen separatists?) have a half decent reason to do it (not that I condone it). Any Russian expats here that want to comment on Chechnya? It is an interesting issue.

Islam is the traditional Religion in Chechnya. 94 % of the Chechens are Sunni Muslim.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chechnya

And "Sharia law threatens Moscow control in Muslim Chechnya."

http://blogs.reuters.com/faithworld...-threatens-moscow-control-in-muslim-chechnya/

citygirl said:
Suicide bombing and setting off explosions is not confined to any one religion and to attempt to link it solely to Muslims is ludicrous.

It's been widely practiced by terrorists (or freedom fighters depending on your POV;) )of all religions and political beliefs - the IRA, militants in the US (remember the Oklahoma City bombings), basque separatists in Spain, etc, etc.

IRA- Catholic bombers... yes, but not "suicide" bombers.

OKC- Not close to being "suicide" bombers. They were tried in court.

ETA (Basques)- Not suicide bombers. Kidnappers, assassins, bombers... yes. But NOT suicide bombers.

Sorry to correct a friend, but those weren't good examples. Suicide bombing is almost exclusively connected with a certain religion and has been for nearly three decades, because the instances have overwhelmingly been linked to one religion.

Exclusive agents of terror?... no. SUICIDE Terror?... yes.

Moonwitch said:
I don't think this attack can be classified as the same as those Bin Laden and Jihad ones. At least the terrorists (has it been claimed by Chechen separatists?) have a half decent reason to do it (not that I condone it). Any Russian expats here that want to comment on Chechnya? It is an interesting issue.

Sorry, I will not be commenting on the "interesting issue", but this is a link for you:

http://www.google.com/#q=al+qaeda+chechnya

By the way, I passed through the very same meeting point at Domodedovo airport arrivals a day before the blast.

Earlier today I asked this:

steveinbsas said:
Is there any other religion on the ever-so-peaceful planet EARTH that tells its (most devout) followers to either convert the non-believers or kill them?

Then I was asked this:

Captain Cheetah said:
Is that written in any holy book? Do you have a English version of the holy books ( Quran or similar) and found that written anywhere?

In the past hour I found the "quotations" that inspired my first question:

"The Koran

- On Interacting with Jews and Christians

"O you who believe! do not take the Jews and the Christians for friends; they are friends of each other; and whoever amongst you takes them for a friend, then surely he is one of them; surely Allah does not guide the unjust people." (Sura 5, verse 51).

"And the Jews say: Uzair is the son of Allah; and the Christians say: The Messiah is the son of Allah; these are the words of their mouths; they imitate the saying of those who disbelieved before; may Allah DESTROY them; how they are turned away!" (Sura 9, verse 30).

"And the Jews will not be pleased with you, nor the Christians until you follow their religion. Say: Surely Allah's guidance, that is the (true) guidance. And if you follow their desires after the
knowledge that has come to you, you shall have no guardian from Allah, nor any helper."
(Sura 2, verse 120).

- On Living In Peace With Non-Muslims

"And KILL them (the unbelievers) wherever you find them, and drive them out from whence they drove you out, and persecution is severer than slaughter, and do not fight with them at the Sacred Mosque until they fight with you in it, but if they do fight you, then slay them; such is the recompense of the unbelievers." (Sura 2, verse 191).

"Let not the believers take the unbelievers for friends rather than believers; and whoever does this, he shall have nothing of (the guardianship of) Allah, but you should guard yourselves against them, guarding carefully; and Allah makes you cautious of (retribution from) Himself; and to Allah is the eventual coming." (Sura 3, verse 28).

"And whoever does not believe in Allah and His Apostle, then surely We have prepared burning fire
for the unbelievers." (Sura 48, verse 13)."

I hope that anyone who finds these translations inaccurate will be able to correct them.

Some bible quotes:

The false prophets or visionaries who try to lead you astray must be put to death, for they encourage rebellion against the LORD your God, who redeemed you from slavery and brought you out of the land of Egypt. Since they try to lead you astray from the way the Lord your God commanded you to live, you must put them to death. In this way you will purge the evil from among you. (Deuteronomy 13:5)

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death.(Deuteronomy 17:12)

They agreed that anyone who refused to seek the LORD, the God of Israel, would be put to death—whether young or old, man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:13)

Some good info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_attack

According to Robert Pape, director of the Chicago Project on Suicide Terrorism and expert on suicide bombers, 95% of suicide attacks in recent times have the same specific strategic goal: to cause an occupying state to withdraw forces from a disputed territory

Napoleon said:
IRA- Catholic bombers... yes, but not "suicide" bombers.

OKC- Not close to being "suicide" bombers. They were tried in court.

ETA (Basques)- Not suicide bombers. Kidnappers, assassins, bombers... yes. But NOT suicide bombers.

Sorry to correct a friend, but those weren't good examples. Suicide bombing is almost exclusively connected with a certain religion and has been for nearly three decades, because the instances have overwhelmingly been linked to one religion.

Exclusive agents of terror?... no. SUICIDE Terror?... yes.

Arguing semantics - setting off bombs with the intent of killing multiple people isn't confined to any one religion, region or anything else. The method may be slightly different but the intent is the same.

And we could hold out the following -
The Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE)—the separatist group in Sri Lanka that invented the bomb belt—was, for example, a mainly Hindu movement. In fact " Indeed, until 2000 a significant proportion of suicide bombers were Sri Lankan, almost half."

The PKK in Turkey?

Shall we look at the historical Japanese kamikazes?

ETA - Igor, glad you made it safely!

Suicide bomber is a misnomer. These people are homocide bombers.
Yes, it can be said that one man's terrorist is another's freedom fighter, but there are limits. It is in the definition of those limits where ethical people can be separated from the unethical. To incant these words as if they were a justification for all terrorist acts is irresponible, unethical, and dumb. You must be able to universalize your moral principles and taking innocent life to bring attention to your cause is seldom justified because universalizing the principle leads to chaos.
Whatever calls to violence contained in the bible and scriptures of religions other than Islam's Koran are irrelevant because the religious leaders of such other religions no longer condone acts of violence whereas numerous Imams do preach violence and death unto others based upon the Islamic scriptures.

Back