Books on Argentina

PK

Registered
I wanted to read a decent book to get up to speed on Argentine history and politics and read "Inside Argentina from Peron to Menem" which was really pretty good. Written by Laurence Levine who worked with Aerolineaus and other companies in Argentina for years. It stopped in 2000 however. Anyone know of any books that would give me insight since then? Thanks.

Hello PK,I honestly appreciate your sincere interest in our wonderful country. I don't think I have seen any serious history books on the 2000-2007 period. Probably because:1. Nobody knows what happened,2. Everybody knows, but no one wants to be reminded,3. A few people know, but they will go to jail (or get shot) if they tell you what they know,4. A lot of people know, but the story would probably not be worth the paper it's written on.However, I reckon Pacho O'Donnell has written a book about the crisis. I don't know whether or not it is available in English, though. Pacho is a good historian and a seriously nice chap, too.

Thanks Ernie. With Chavez recent interest in Argentina what are your thoughts about an anti american environment affecting life in Argentina. My wife and I are thinking of buying some land up in Mendoza and didnt know if folks like us with an interest in the country and culture trying to speak poor Spanish would be unwelcome given todays developing politics.

"PK" said:
Thanks Ernie. With Chavez recent interest in Argentina what are your thoughts about an anti american environment affecting life in Argentina. My wife and I are thinking of buying some land up in Mendoza and didnt know if folks like us with an interest in the country and culture trying to speak poor Spanish would be unwelcome given todays developing politics.
They are anti-American untill they recieve a job offer from an American firm I doubt you will run into any problems, try to learn Spanish as soon as possible though

Hello PK,Mr. Chávez is a joke, and he will be used as long as he makes people laugh. History seems to dictate that he will run out of luck eventually. As far as anti-americanism is concerned, it seems to me that you have nothing to worry about. In fact, most Argentinians find people who speak Spanish with a heavy American or British accent interesting. Particularly when they start using Argentinian slang words. My friend Ben Zuckerman does that, it's really funny. I think people in Mendoza will welcome you. Just stay true to your friends, proud of your heritage and faithful to yourselves, and you'll be fine! Just drop me a line if you need a helping hand. I am more than willing to help people adjust, the same way others helped my grandparents, who came from Germany and Scotland in the early 1900's, completely ignorant of what laid ahead. CheersErnie

Argentines are brainwashed from an early age to hate Americans. And from what I see, the brainwash is pretty effective... The locals believe everything that the media and the left tell them. So obviously, they are going to be anti-american. Why do you think so many Argentines celebrated September 11th? Why do you think they feel happy every time a natural disaster occcurs in the US?

all over the world there is anti Americanism among "intellectuals". That's true here where extreme leftist attitiudes prevail among academics. At the same time I don't think most Argentines hate Americans. If they really hated the US would they listen to American pop / rock music, eat American fast food, watch American TV shows and films, buy American products, take trips to Disney World, Miami and New York, etc.

Hey Pavel, I think the word here is "jealousy". Argentinians don't hate Americans, they're just plain jealous.CheersErnie

Thanks for all the input. I have found most everyone dislikes the American govt. but one on one they tend to be more receptive to getting to know you. Based on Argentinas history and some of the things pulled by our govt I can understand some of the angst. A funny thing happened when traveling. My wife and I met a caucasion couple from South Africa. They laughed and said thank god for Bush! Now people have you on the bottom rung vs us for our aparthied. Sad but I had to agree. Again thanks to everyone. Our Spanish is starting to sink in but it will be tough.
Salud.

The book I can recommend "as very good read" was a book I picked up a year or so ago entitled "Los Mitos de la Historia Argentina 2" by Felipe Pigna.
It explained more than just accounts of chronological history but it dealt much more on the Argentinian people, very informative. I picked up the book from the bookstore one day and did not put it down until I finished it.
Just something to consider when wanting to read a thicker than usual book about Argentina's history. I also liked Pigna's writing style.

Back