Border closures vOmicron?

Nice of them to ban flights from a huge continent. As if Africa is one country...

I love to travel, and have been fortunate to visit 3 African countries, and when people that ask if I've been to Africa and I say yes, they are generally confused as to why I didn't go on a safari when I visited Morocco, Tunisia, or Egypt, or that I had high speed internet when I was there.

Most Americans can’t point to Argentina on a map.
In 1988, an arrogant young backpacker was bemused to be offered a map of the world by a Buenos Aires street seller that excluded all the major cities and state boundaries of the backpacker’s home country but instead included just two placenames: both small towns of less than 10,000 people, neither correctly located. Today, that one-time backpacker (who now counts among local friends someone whose brother died in the Malvinas conflict) cringes at how, so soon after the war, they shamefully proceeded to inform the would-be seller that the map also erred in not naming the small landmass off to the right of Argentina as the Falklands.

Omicron has a specific gene insertion in the surface protein that makes it easy to spot even with a PCR without the need to do a sequencing. But they still confirm with a sequencing I guess.

"'In a special PCR test, the samples showed an abnormality in the spike protein', the National Institute for Public Health (RIVM) which announced the earlier cases, said on Tuesday". Too late, of course, it's turning up everywhere now.

So just as you say, however they do also say "Not every nation has the ability, however, to carry out these added checks", and "PCR tests, meanwhile, can hint if a Covid case might be Omicron, but cannot confirm it for sure".

so with this news they should rescind the flight bans, no? we should ban all flights from the EU instead.

Careful how you talk about regions of the world, covid, and how it may affect Argentina.

You'll get responses like the one below...

"This is the first really stupid post I have seen on this board. It is pure fear mongering. Almost racist. (next will the author will suggest an internment camp for chineses employees?"

Back