Brand new

ahw8

Registered
Could anyone tell me about life as an American in BA? I don't mind learning Spanish, but can we get along okay speaking English? Where is the best place to live, i.e., downtown, near restaurants, stores, etc.? Could someone pass along some knowledge about a work permit and employment? I would like to work and stay long term not just a few months. Thanks in advance.

- Ashton

Welcome to the board.

Let's pretend it's not the long summer break and nobody is hiring.
Let's asume the country is not on the brink of financial, social and moral collapse.
Let's disregard the fact that you can hire 3 venezuelan professionals for the price of one local uneducated halfwit.
Finally, let's skip the fact that I'm a monkey behind a keyboard with a top of the art grammar and spelling checker.

What exquisite talent are you bringing that makes you attractive for any company or organisation and makes you a premium target?

FYO, we don't use foreign currency anymore. Just our local funny money.

Iz

Last edited:
Could anyone tell me about life as an American in BA? I don't mind learning Spanish, but can we get along okay speaking English? Where is the best place to live, i.e., downtown, near restaurants, stores, etc.? Could someone pass along some knowledge about a work permit and employment? I would like to work and stay long term not just a few months. Thanks in advance.

You will get along okay speaking English with expats at the weekly coffee chats, but that's about it.

Staying in BA for three months without speaking Spanish while looking for a non existent job (necessary to find before you can get a work permit) should kill your desire to stay long term.

That being said, if you really want to stay in BA long term, you can extend your 90 day tourist permit one time by 90 days at the office of migraciones.

You will have between 80 and 89 days to learn how to pronounce the words "prorroga de permanencia" before you ask for one.

If you don't already have a job before you come, forget about it as an expat.

If you can find a job where they pay you illegally it won't be worth your time to work rather than enjoying your time in AR. Come for 90 days as a tourist, enjoy yourself, but don't try to make a life here.

Develop skills which are rare on the planet such that these will make you money anywhere in the world.

Unless one is born in a multi millionaire family, or has a top job where your organization sponsors your transfer to a exotic country like Argentina..its hard to just move in a place like Argentina and expect to get a job on arrival, and survive on local salary like locals. Not done!

Last edited:

- Ashton

Hi Ashton, I strongly recommend that you look for a place nearby Recoleta or Palermo. About the work permit, you can apply for it IN COUNTRY, or at the Argentine Embassy with jurisdiction over your home address. It is important to remark that, in order to apply for any employment visa, you will need a Sponsor locally registered with Immigration to sponsor foreigners. US nationals are allowed to stay for 1 year (with multiple entries and exits) and eligible to renew the work permit on a yearly basis if they show that they lived at least 6 months inside of the country + 9 monthly payslips. Once you gather 3 years of stay, you can apply for permanent residency. Something that I recommend is to start your own company (now it´s very easy - it can be done online- it is a new type of corporation known as "Sociedad Anónima Simplificada or "SAS"-, enroll it with Immigration, and then, sponsor yourself.

Hi Ashton, I strongly recommend that you look for a place nearby Recoleta or Palermo. About the work permit, you can apply for it IN COUNTRY, or at the Argentine Embassy with jurisdiction over your home address. It is important to remark that, in order to apply for any employment visa, you will need a Sponsor locally registered with Immigration to sponsor foreigners. US nationals are allowed to stay for 1 year (with multiple entries and exits) and eligible to renew the work permit on a yearly basis if they show that they lived at least 6 months inside of the country + 9 monthly payslips. Once you gather 3 years of stay, you can apply for permanent residency. Something that I recommend is to start your own company (now it´s very easy - it can be done online- it is a new type of corporation known as "Sociedad Anónima Simplificada or "SAS"-, enroll it with Immigration, and then, sponsor yourself.
Interesting! Steve In Buenos Aires, Comments, please?

Back