Brazil to rescue Argentina

expatinowncountry said:
I have the right to be amuse by the naivete of some people in some areas/issues.

I tend to see the Middle East important for about four reasons: 1) A large percentage of the world's oil supply is in the ME, 2) China is a big customer of ME oil, 3) The petrodollar, and 4) Iran (a threat to the petrodollar, allied with China/Russia/India/Brazil). With all four being issues, policymakers will maintain the status-quo. The U.S., I imagine, isn't quite so worried about getting ME oil. I'd suppose we're more worried about stability and who is receiving the oil.

I'm certainly not trying to justify it, but most states act in the same manner as the U.S. Argentina, for example, recently decried the so-called "coup" in Paraguay and the threat to Paraguayan democracy. The following week, Cristina Fernandez welcomed the Chinese Prime Minister. If the lack of democratic rule in Paraguay is a factor in (not) meeting with the new Paraguayan president, then why isn't it a factor in meeting with the Chinese PM Jiabao? (And why meet with the President of Angola?)

The fact is that the U.S. needs stable oil prices, and Argentina needs soybean buyers (and new economic partners). Otherwise, both fall economically. Democracy, human rights, etc. almost always take the backseat if economic issues are in play.

nicoenarg said:
In my post to you, I wasn't talking about your opinion on the US. So the above is irrelevant to me.

You might wanna hold your horses just a bit there sparky. I was only referring to your post to citygirl which came across as condescending. That's all. I'm not being "overly aggressive", I'm merely pointing it out. You, on the other hand, seem to be "overly sensitive" about this.

I did not know that, so thanks.

What the hell does this have to do with what I said? I don't care about economics schools of thought and you won't find me making a case for either Keynsian or Austrian schools of thought. Some others on this forum have made that their life's goal, not me.

I'll check the text book out if I have the time.

Do your read your own posts? Came across as condescending? For you!!!

You accused me of not giving proof and giving authority statements when I made clear in the post (you overlooked) that my opinion were conjectures that could be wrong and not the universal truth. So your reaction was out of place. I do not think I am overly sensitive here, I just noted that you were peeing in the wrong pot (sorry, translation from my mother tongue. English equivalent welcomed). I tried to be polite and not send you to take the horse tranquilizer as other member did not long time ago. Even if you may need them desperately.

When you used the word "hell" like you did in this post, it does sound a tad aggressive. The information was a clarification of the same anecdotal value to the fact that Popper taught at LSE (I was trying to connect it to economics as I know you are interested in the subject)

Anyway, I can understand why citygirl may feel bad about critiques to her country. I am very critical of my own country (in particular its colonial past) but I feel uneasy when foreigners do it (specially when they are right). But well, it is part of the game... or you are not here half the time criticizing Argentina?? It works as cheap therapy for a lot of people. So I think that given your record of bashing Argentina, you should let other people give opinions about the countries that really make the decision in the world arena. Even more, when they use statements that include words like "may" or "I could be wrong"...

camberiu said:
The US has a long history of military interventions. Recently we can think of:

- Grenada and Panama in the 1980s. Plus the mining of Nicaraguan ports, which was actually a violation of international law.

- Iraq, Somalia and Serbia in te 90s.

- Afghanistan, Iraq, Libya more recently.

What's your point?

Is the USA in control of any of them today?

steveinbsas said:
What's your point?

I think the point was to answer the question Citygirl posted, which was "Has the US invaded its neighbors recently?"

expatinowncountry said:
Do your read your own posts? Came across as condescending? For you!!!

Do you?

expatinowncountry said:
You accused me of not giving proof and giving authority statements when I made clear in the post (you overlooked) that my opinion were conjectures that could be wrong and not the universal truth. So your reaction was out of place. I do not think I am overly sensitive here, I just noted that you were peeing in the wrong pot (sorry, translation from my mother tongue. English equivalent welcomed). I tried to be polite and not send you to take the horse tranquilizer as other member did not long time ago. Even if you may need them desperately.

Like I said, you are being overly sensitive.

expatinowncountry said:
When you used the word "hell" like you did in this post, it does sound a tad aggressive. The information was a clarification of the same anecdotal value to the fact that Popper taught at LSE (I was trying to connect it to economics as I know you are interested in the subject)

Am I now? Oh how nice of you to notice. This is from your previous post:

expatinowncountry said:
If you do not call that a conjecture, what the hell is that? And I think I gave a few examples to back my perception (again, a perception)

I always reply in kind. If you don't like these words, don't use them to begin with.

expatinowncountry said:
Anyway, I can understand why citygirl may feel bad about critiques to her country. I am very critical of my own country (in particular its colonial past) but I felt uneasy when foreigners do it (specially when they are right). But well, it is part of the game... or you are not here half the time criticizing Argentina?? It works as cheap therapy for a lot of people. So I think that given your record of bashing Argentina, you should let other people give opinions about the countries that really make the decision in the world arena. Even more, when they use statements that include words like "may" or "I could be wrong"...

I understand from your posts that English is not your mother tongue. And I can see it clearly from the way you understand it so I am going to try to spell it out again.

I don't care about your opinions on the US or Argentina or Brazil or *insert country here*. The only thing I commented on was you saying "I am always impress by the naivete of lot of Americans with respect to foreign affairs." when Citygirl said, "In regards to the US military action in Iraq (which personally I didn't support), I think one would be hard-pressed to pont to any economic benefits that were reaped from it."

Again, it does not matter that you made it clear that whatever you were saying was conjecture in a previous post because in the post above, that started this whole thing between us, you come across as condescending. All I was trying to say was, if all you're doing is conjecture then you might want to hold off a little and find some proof before you start calling people "naive".

When you call someone naive, and then proceed with giving them your side of whatever it is that you believe, you (as in generally anyone) come across as saying that you know better than them. If that's not your point of view, then don't use words like "naive" because they mislead people.

As for your opinions on the US, that's fine. I don't give a flying rat's @$$ (translated directly from English :p). All I was politely asking you was to be polite and respectful to people with opinions different than your own (something you've stressed on in the past yourself).

Now, since I never went for that tranquilizer, you can get it for free, its on me. The way you're blowing up on here, its pretty clear it won't be a waste on you.

If the above is too hard for you to understand, I'd suggest you put it through Google translate.

nicoenarg said:
Do you?

Like I said, you are being overly sensitive.

Am I now? Oh how nice of you to notice. This is from your previous post:

I always reply in kind. If you don't like these words, don't use them to begin with.

I understand, from your posts that English is not your mother tongue. And I can see it clearly from the way you understand it so I am going to try to spell it out again.

I don't care about your opinions on the US or Argentina or Brazil or *insert country here*. The only thing I commented on was you saying "I am always impress by the naivete of lot of Americans with respect to foreign affairs." when Citygirl said, "In regards to the US military action in Iraq (which personally I didn't support), I think one would be hard-pressed to pont to any economic benefits that were reaped from it."

Again, it does not matter that you made it clear that whatever you were saying was conjecture in a previous post because in the post above, that started this whole thing between us, you come across as condescending. All I was trying to say was, if all you're doing is conjecture then you might want to hold off a little and find some proof before you start calling people "naive".

When you call someone naive, and then proceed with giving them your side of whatever it is that you believe, you (as in generally anyone) come across as saying that you know better than them. If that's not your point of view, then don't use words like "naive" because they mislead people.

As for your opinions on the US, that's fine. I don't give a flying rat's @$$ (translated directly from English :p). All I was politely asking you was to be polite and respectful to people with opinions different than your own.

Now, since I never went for that tranquilizer, you can get it for free, its on me. The way you're blowing up on here, its pretty clear it won't be a waste on you.

If the above is too hard for you to understand, I'd suggest you put it through Google translate.

Get some help. It is never too late.

expatinowncountry said:
Get some help. It is never too late.

From the looks of things it seems like you know a thing or two about that ;)

EDIT: By "that" I mean, "getting help" lest you misunderstand that too!

nicoenarg said:

Yes, I am a professor and a development economist... I do try to help people on daily basis. The same way that I took the time from my work and family to write you a long PM offering you information on all the relevant economic think tanks in Buenos Aires because you said you were looking for a job in economics (how many strangers did that for you?). I even told you that I knew people in almost all those places because I was happy to call them if you were interested.... but well... you were not interested. And for what I read in your posts, you were not very thankful either. In any case, I really do not blame you for your reaction, I know what it means to be an expat, unemployed and unhappy in a country that is a mess.
I hope you can sort things out.

nicoenarg said:

EDIT: By "that" I mean, "getting help" lest you misunderstand that too!

My English may not be British perfect, but it is clear enough to be understood and I do understand what you say and imply. I do write quickly in forums, specially when I have to chit chat with people like you.
You cannot find a job cause you do not speak a word of Spanish and you are making fun of my English? I speak four languages and I taught in one of your most prestigious universities. Now go to bed that tomorrow mummy will take you to school first thing in the morning. Sweet dreams little boy.

Oh wow, it seems like I'm talking to a kid in primary school who offered to share his lunch with me and when I didn't take it, he got offended.

I've thanked you plenty of times in the PM. I was grateful for your offer, I looked at the links you provided and I didn't feel qualified for any of the think tanks because I don't know Spanish. Not wanting to waste your time, I told you the same via PM. You clearly took even that the wrong way.

Secondly, 2 others PM'ed me the same day and offered to help, the only difference between them and you is that they seem to be respectful people with integrity whereas you don't.

You taught in one of the most prestigious schools in my country? Do you even know where I'm from? And by the way, just because you know other languages doesn't mean you know every language perfectly. You clearly don't know English very well, if that offends you then so be it.

Your posts today have been both childish and outright stupid at times, I'm inclined to blame mid-life crisis for it but I'm afraid it might be something more serious than that.

Whatever it is, like I said before, I was grateful for the help you offered me but don't mistake that to mean I'll nod my head when you nod yours and I'll shake it when you shake yours. Come to think of it, I'm glad I didn't take you up on your offer.

Grow up for a change. This isn't your classroom and I'm not one of your unlucky students. You might want to get off your cheap wine and imaginary high horses already.

Back