Brazil Visa

genialf

Registered
So, I'm mexican and as such, I am required a Visa to travel to Brazil. Do you guys know if I still need it if I already have an Argentine residency (1 year, renewable) and my DNI is in tramit? I want to go there on vacation but I don't want to do more tramits than I need to.

Thanks

I'm a permanent resident of Argentina and a US citizen. Planning a trip to Rio last year, I stopped by the Brazilian consulate (Pellegrini near Arenales) to ask about visas, and they were emphatic that I would not be allowed entry without a visa in my passport. I argued that the DNI should be enough, and that I had already entered Brazil one time - at Iguazú - with just my DNI, but they made me go through the visa drill anyway.

You need either to get citizenship and a mercosur passport or a brazilian visa. The DNI for foreigners is not supposted to be enough.

DNI (permanent) is enough. You can get a visa too but they'll let you in on a permanent DNI anyways

DNI (permanent) is enough. You can get a visa too but they'll let you in on a permanent DNI anyways

Are you sure of that? My sources say otherwise. We are talking here about permanent DNI for foreigners.

hmm... This has been covered here ad-nauseum before...

It's pretty straight forward;

(a) Brazil visa requirements are based on citizenship. If you are a *citizen* of a country that Brasil requires visas from, then you need to apply and obtain a visa to enter Brasil. It doesn't matter if you are a *resident* (permanent or temporary) of a Mercosur country (AR included) and have an Extranjero DNI.

(b) *Citizens* of a Mercosur country can enter with just their DNI, no passport and no visa required.

Remember.. the difference here is between citizenship and residency.

So... DNIs that start with 9 are for residents and citizens have a diff DNI number?

genialf said:
So... DNIs that start with 9 are for residents and citizens have a diff DNI number?

Correct. If you are a resident (but not a citizen) of Argentina and have a DNI, you can enter the following countries with just your DNI so long as you would not ordinarilly need a visa for your country of citizenship that is shown in your DNI Extranjero:

• Chile (only if the date of residency in your DNI is more than two years ago and you are entering Chile from Argentina, not a third country)
  • Columbia
  • Ecuador
  • Peru
  • Uruguay
For all other countries, including Brazil & Paraguay, you need your passport.

ndcj said:
Correct. If you are a resident (but not a citizen) of Argentina and have a DNI, you can enter the following countries with just your DNI so long as you would not ordinarilly need a visa for your country of citizenship that is shown in your DNI Extranjero:

• Chile (only if the date of residency in your DNI is more than two years ago)
  • Columbia
  • Ecuador
  • Peru
  • Uruguay
For all other countries, including Brazil & Paraguay, you need your passport.
Thanks -- I didn't know that about Chile. Which date must be older than two years -- the cambio de category or the original fecha de radicacion?

Back