Brazil Visa

What is the situation with Currency/CC`s in Brazil?

I mean ... can I use my Canadian Credit Cards normally there? ... No 15 different rates like here .... official/travel/Blue/Ahorro/Sueldo/etc etc ?

In other words, ... do I need to worry and take CASH with me, or paying with the CC`s is as good as cash?

Can I even withdraw US Dollars from machines or from bank branches? Limitations? Restrictions?

Any additional unforeseen pitfalls to watch out for?

Thanks a lot for sharing your experiences, tips and ideas.

My experience has been that they accept credits cards almost everywhere even in small stores. No experience with Canadian credit cards - but US credit cards worked fine. I was not able to withdraw dollars from any ATM but you do not need them as a traveler. At least the last time I was there there was no blue dollar kind of rate like we had here before. Withdrawing Brazilian real with my debit cards also worked fine everywhere. Maybe bring a small amount of cash for emergencies.

No USD from ATM machines.

Yes, you can use yr credit cards almost anywhere in Brazil. In restaurants they bring the card swiper to yr table and swipe in front of you.

Be sure to warn yr bank that you will be using the card in Brazil lest they block it after first use.

yes, you can take our reals from the machines..normally maximum is 800 reals from a machine and if you are lucky then 1000 reals. depending on yr bank, atm withdrawals can be expensive. there are lot of reals avbl in BA..so you can purchase reals in BA and have them before u arrive there.

Hi guy,

Walk into any travel agent and get a fake reservation and look tough when you apply for visa. It happened to my good friend. I said to the officer, he is old and retired, here credit card, fake reservation for flight and hotel. Her face changed color and smiled and we got the visa next day
Good luck.
nik

What is the situation with Currency/CC`s in Brazil?

I mean ... can I use my Canadian Credit Cards normally there? ... No 15 different rates like here .... official/travel/Blue/Ahorro/Sueldo/etc etc ?

In other words, ... do I need to worry and take CASH with me, or paying with the CC`s is as good as cash?

Credit cards are widely accepted. There are no currency restrictions, so there is only one exchange rate.

lol, check with its office, because of the Olympic you might not need a visa to visit Brasil.

If I`m guessing correctly, I think it will be an ONLY ONE TIME 90 days visa during the Olympics.

For me I want to avoid the Olympics.
And I want the multiple entry visa for future visits during the next 5 year.

I`m having too many difficulties filling out the formulario online: https://formulario-mre.serpro.gov.br

May be it`s that I`ve gone totally senile with my old age !!

Trying to access the site, ..... I get something to the effect: "SITE HAS NO SECURITY AUTHENTICATION CERTIFICATE".

Even after I override this security WARNING I don`t know how to select Nationality from from a pick list to next list. 3 lists.

Translation ... some don`t make sense.

Some check boxes ... don`t know what they are referring to or what do they mean.

Can some of you compu guru savvy out there in the wilderness look at this web site to evaluate it and help me out:
It`s an INSURMOUNTABLE obstacle, .... FORMIDABLE formulario !
Have I gone totally vegetable ?
Totally lost it?
Help ...........

I feel that the web site is HOSTILE !

Ooooooooooooooops
I got in tizzy for nothing ... it seems.

I have to go ... will try to finish it off later !

Back