Bring Bike As Oversized Luggage Into Ezeiza

Have brought several in over the years , never had a problem.

my bike just about survived a recent journey, it was packed up good with plenty of pipe lagging. I had a connection in New York and TSA ripped my box apart (as opposed to cutting the tape) for inspection leaving plenty of large holes in the box. luckily i had nothing loose inside the box, bike clothes were packed in plastic bags. Flew with American airlines, was expecting to be charged $150 but it went through free as my second bag so i wasn't asking any questions. it was checked in the oversized luggage and came out on the conveyor belt in ezeiza with the normal luggage. In customs I was just asked is if was usado and I passed through. Another passenger saw the big cardboard box wanted to know if it was a televisor!

bike.jpg

Not that you would, but absolutely don't consider buying one here. Way, way overpriced.

Customs (the aduana) might ask you if it is new. The obvious answer is no and to guarantee you don't have problems, leave it dirty. If you can go over your handle bar tape with filthy white tape all the better. Stuff newspaper in there so it does not look professionly packed, even if it is. The less you leave to chance the better.

The place to train is circuito KDT, it's 1.3 enclosed loop with no cars. It's behind Paseo Al Corte shopping and very close to Jorge Newberry airport (not the international one)

I train there three times a week, message me for further info on the road riding scene here.

Lucky you as most airlines are now charging 150 each way to haul a bike in their continuing efforts to gouge customers in any way they can. Consider it a rare gift and oversight on their part.

Lots of riding out here in Cordoba and La Cumbre

Someone dug this topic up from the grave but since were talking about bikes... United Airlines charges 150 US dollars each way for a bike. Even if it is packaged under normal or tipical dimensions they will still charge it as a special luggage being that it is a bike. Aerolineas Argentinas charged me 0 dollars on departure from JFK and 0 dollars on departure from Ezeiza.
I've ridden from san isidro up to tigre, from la plata over to ensensada and around malvinas. Met a lot of bikers in my travels.

my bike box was too big to bring on a trolley around the isle to the normal checkin desk (big queue of people too), so they let me go direct to priority checkin desk which was wider and direct and the oversized luggage checkin area was beside it. So as well as not been charged for the bike I got to skip the queue for checkin. But my flight had an already announced 5 hour delay at the time, so this could have played a part.

Back