Bringing a container with our stuff...

Based on personal experience, the title commonly used for a customs agent or broker in Spanis is despachante aduana. Perhaps "panchante" aduana is a "slang" expression? Porteños have a habit of dropping syllables.

Or is "panchante" aduana the title of someone who actually works in the aduana (customs) office?

Just curious.

Despachante de Aduana is the Spanish for Customs Broker

Based on personal experience, the title commonly used for a customs agent or broker in Spanis is despachante aduana. Perhaps "panchante" aduana is a "slang" expression? Porteños have a habit of dropping syllables.

Or is "panchante" aduana the title of someone who actually works in the aduana (customs) office?

Just curious.
"Despachante" is the word, no slang applies in this case. We talk fast and the word could sound as "pachante" being "des" almost imperceptible.

So our container has arrived as of last week in BA and we are working with a new customs depachante (I think that's the word) to help us with the tramite but it seems like while we have everything ready to go on our end, they are not allowing them to make an appointment to release the container. IF it doesn't get released by Wednesday then they will start charging us a high fee in dollars per day for every day it sits there. Our agente is advising us that if it comes to that to just pay it to release our stuff and then try to get it back with an attorney's help.

Does anyone have any experience or have an attorney that they have worked with who can help? (We have an attorney friend who is willing to help but this is not his area of expertise). Thanks! (Of course we hope it doesn't come to this!)

My stuff arrived in December of last year. I had to spend the December holidays (the Customs staff hardly work at this time of year), and wait until the first or second week of January to be able to receive all the boxes at home. And yes, they will charge you per day ... They take advantage of the fact that there are many days in December that there are no enough people working, due to the holidays. I did not contact an attorney. I only spoke to my customs broker on the phone almost every day.

I am thinking of bringing a container How did this story end for you any tips thanks

Also has anyone shipped a vehicle here. that qualified for duty free. Looking for any taxes or fees on a vehicle under 15000 Thanks for any help on this

I am thinking of bringing a container How did this story end for you any tips thanks
After a lot of frustrating conversations with our go-between, we got our stuff just after the new year. There was a lot of crazymaking in the process beforehand and misinformation about going to the warehouse where our stuff was waiting for us (such as that only my husband could be there--this wasn't true!). He ended up going with a friend and after not too long and only a small bribe for the used kayak we had brought (he negotiated it to be like $100), all our stuff was loaded onto the waiting truck that we had hired to bring our stuff to Entre Rios. It was sooooo worth it. Having my own silverware, cutting boards, etc made me instantly feel more at home and while it was a stressful process overall to get our stuff to Argentina, I would probably have done it again as I think in certain sectors you can't get the same quality (or at least not where I've looked) that I brought with me. However, I will say as far as furniture etc, with the exception of our organic mattresses, I feel like I probably could have sold my couches and tables and just started over with possibly even better, custom-made furniture in Argentina for what it's worth. But what's done is done. Hope this helps and good luck! (as to your car question, we decided to opt to just get cars there rather than deal with what seemed like it could become even more complicated!)

Thank you for the information. Did you bring any big screen tvs. i saw on one of the websites you were not allowed to. It didn't make any sense to me Thanks

We brought two huge tvs with no issue. In fact, all the random things that our customs guy told us they'd give us a problem for were not a problem. And then they picked the kayak as the issue which is so random. they will likely pick something to give you a hassle for. I also don't know your situation. In our case, my husband is a returning citizen with the right to bring his personal belongings back and I am a permanent resident. However, it was all done in his name which is why they told me I couldn't go to pick up the stuff but this was not accurate.

Back