Bringing A Pet / Rabies Vaccine

goodbooy

Registered
Hi all

I will be bringing my 5 month old puppy from the US to Buenos Aires with me on Aerolineas Argentinas.

Some websites say that the rabies vaccine needs to be applied 30days before arrival amd others don't. The SENASA website only mentions the 30 days deadline for Mercosur countries.

Has anybody have an experience arriving with a dog/cat with a rabies vaccine certification issued less than 30 days before the arrival?

Thanks in advance for your help

I am not sure you can fly a pet in cabin on Aerolineas Argentinas.
I wouldn't advise to bring him in anywhere but in the cabin.

As you can read here, your puppy must have taken his/her rabies shot at least 30 days before travelling.

A.3) La constancia de vacunación antirrábica que será requerida para todo canino y felino mayor de 3 (tres) meses de edad, habiendo sido realizada por lo menos 30 (treinta) días antes de la fecha de ingreso del animal en el caso de los primovacunados, y con una vigencia no mayor de un año[background=rgb(242, 241, 244)].[/background]

I am not sure you can fly a pet in cabin on Aerolineas Argentinas.
I wouldn't advise to bring him in anywhere but in the cabin.

As you can read here, your puppy must have taken his/her rabies shot at least 30 days before travelling.

Recently AeroCampora made a big deal about the first dog on a domestic flight (to Bariloche, I think).

Personally, though I love dogs, I'm not sure I'd want to be seated next to one on a flight (and certainly not next to a cat). Some people also suffer from allergies.

I was on a Delta flight recently and saw a passenger with a lap dog. This might be the new norm.

Yes you can fly Aerolinas with a pet under the seat. But I understand your predicament so your puppy is so young. Maybe your vet can write a statement describing what type of vaccine was given and when, highlighting when it is fully effective. Or maybe he would backdate the document....

Hello all!! Thank for responding. I am not asking whether or not I need the vaccine or if I can bring my puppy in cargo or with me in cabin.

I need to know if any of you have arrived from the US with a puppy whose rabies vaccine was given less than 30 days b4 arrival. Are they super strict with this in Ezeiza?

Your question was not "I have a 5 months old puppy vaccinated less than 30 days of the intended arrival date", dude!

SENASA is the website you should reference. Whether they actually check your puppy's vaccination or not is a matter of chance. Some will tell you they had them checked, some will they you the officer couldn't care less.

Like everything in Argentina...
  • Is there such a requirement? YES
  • Is it enforced? DEPENDS

My gut feeling is that they're not going to stick hard and fast to that 30 day rule... as long as he has his shots, it should be okay, especially if it's a puppy.

BUT you could be facing quarantine (or a bribe) if they do enforce the rule. If you can find a vet willing to fudge the dates a little bit that might be the best option.
[I've been living in Argentina too long.]

Hello all!! Thank for responding. I am not asking whether or not I need the vaccine or if I can bring my puppy in cargo or with me in cabin.

I need to know if any of you have arrived from the US with a puppy whose rabies vaccine was given less than 30 days b4 arrival. Are they super strict with this in Ezeiza?

I brought two dogs with me (2 and 6 years old) and there wasn't anyone at SENASA in Ezeiza to take my paperwork, so I just walked on through. Don't bank on that, though.

My understanding is that airlines have their own age and vaccination restrictions (check with your specific carrier...but I think they adhere to the same regulations), but aside from that just follow the rules on the SENASA website. If you don't meet their requirements, I would wait because it would be a great (and expensive) inconvenience if they didn't permit you to bring your puppy into the country. Come prepared and within the requirements of the regulations...don't expect that they'll overlook anything if you're outside of the rules.

Good luck!

My husband was on a disastrous flight with a woman who brought her dog with her. It was Miami --> Seattle (ie 6 hrs or so). The dog got diarrhea. It was pooing all over the place. The smell was overwhelming. A couple of people vomited due to it. People say babies on flights are annoying, but at least they have diapers you can change, seal in a bag, and dispose of in the bathroom. A dog taking a shit under the seats and in the aisles is nothing that flight attendant nor anyone else on board should have to suffer through.

Back